Little Engines American Boiler

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Fred_V

Re: Little Engines American Boiler

Post by Fred_V »

I hope he turns off the helmet cam when he goes to the bathroom!!
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

A little history on LE back when Larry Kombrink built the one I have.
DSC_5400.jpg
The boiler listed is the one in my American. It was fabricated using various castings and a five inch tube for the forward part of the boiler.

Cost for complete parts kit was $178.20 with an extra $45.25 if you needed LE to machine the parts. The catalog states that they would provide a completed boiler but it would require you to write them for a quote.
DSC_5404.JPG
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
jessebanning

Post by jessebanning »

Charlie, my American weighs in at 150 LBS. When finished, I expect around 155 lbs ish. I do not have the stock built up frame. The water jet frames are heavier, boiler is heavier, cab floor if heavy, smokebox, (mine is fabricated, the new castings are in cast iron, NOT aluminum) domes etc. I increased the steam supply lines to .3125" instead of .250". The grades at the Las Vegas/Boulder City Track range from 2.5 - 3.5. I do not recall what they are at Riverside Live Steamers. I also lowered the petticoat and exhaust which helps the draft and makes a clean smokebox.

I am doing away with all the aluminum parts and only using cast iron or brass. The new pilots are in iron and weigh more than the aluminum.
Attachments
IMG_6910.JPG
www.banninglocomotiveworks.com

www.littleengines.com
Fender

Post by Fender »

Pipescs wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:08 pm Out of curiosity, do you know the year that Tom's Dad built the American?
Tom says the engine was originally built in 1964. The replacement boiler was made in 1983. The second repacement boiler is being completed in 2019. We won’t talk about when it was started. 🙂
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

nice..tig, welding is the only way to go....no slag, no porosity, ....