Question about a DLS ad

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

BarryS

Re: Question about a DLS ad

Post by BarryS »

SteveM wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:14 pm
jcbrock wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:02 amThe St Croix ended up with a 5" gauge on the elevated ...
That's going to be a problem for me if I ever bring my steamer out. The locomotive is 3-1/2" and the riding car is 4-3/4".

It was originally set up for running at PVLS, NJLS and LILS, which have both of those on the high line

Steve
Should be no problem Steve. St Croix can accommodate 2-1/2, 3-1/2, 4-3/4 and 5 on the elevated track. If you want a more stable riding car there there is also a rail for 7.5”.

Barry
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

I think Barry left off a couple, I know I've seen O scale live steam running, and I am guessing something matches up with 32mm or 45mm. I really wanted the outer rails to be 7.25" for sake of completeness. I kinda thought they were ridiculous but was sold the idea of them being "guardrails". I don't have the slightest idea which rails are what gauge though. A picture is worth as many words as there are gauges, and the loco on the plate does happen to be 5" gauge:
St Croix RR High Line
St Croix RR High Line
John Brock
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

You would be fine as St Croix has both of those as well on the high line, in addition to 2.5”.
Matt Mason
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Since the thread has bounced all over, allow me to opine, the straddled passengers add stability to the train. Much like a tight-rope walker carries a drooping bar while performing, the lowered center of mass actually keeps the load centered and in line. As for speed, I have a difficult time running my ground line steamer at such speeds. There is always to potential of the unknown such as an acorn or pine twig, falling on the rails. Slower may not be prototypical, but the injuries sure can be! Just my opinion. Gorgeous loco, too!
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
tsph6500

Post by tsph6500 »

Montreal has not had 5" gauge track for the last 15 years or so. The elevated tracks are 3-1/2" and 4-3/4" gauge, ground track is 7-1/4".

Engineers are welcome to ride as they see fit for their own comfort and ease of firing.
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman