Installing a hand pump

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

PRR5406

Installing a hand pump

Post by PRR5406 »

I have a Reading A5a Camelback. I have a steam pump, a steam injector and an axle pump. The steam injector is fussy at best and the pump works fine unless the operator loses pressure and the water level is questionable. The axle pump was disconnected some time ago by a helpful individual, although I've had it working. I now want to install a manual pump in the tender so an operator can be pro-active about water level.

There is an unused opening atop the firebox, with a threaded plug. I'm thinking a check valve and piping directly into that available location. Seems logical enough. Suggestions as to how to go about this task and a reliable supplier of check valves? I'd like to hear from people with experience, and perhaps a drawing?
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
makinsmoke

Re: Installing a hand pump

Post by makinsmoke »

I don’t think you want to dump cold water into the steam space above the crown sheet.

If it was me, I’d want to pipe the hand pump into the axle pump loop. You can prime the pump with the hand pump when necessary.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

That's how both my locomotives are plumbed.
No failures in 15+ years of operation.
~RN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

agreed on the hand pump pushing through whatever.

I have one that I can have the hand pump either push through the axle pump OR the steam pump...good way to dislodge a stuck check valve...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.