Nathan Monitor Injector in 2.5"

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Soot n' Cinders

Re: Nathan Monitor Injector in 2.5"

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

I have the vent hole on my high mounted standard injectors. For the most part the only time anything comes out is if its blowing steam or a lot of water. One issue I have had with them like that is they are slow to prime on their own up high, usually taking 5-10 seconds to prime up and get going. I think some of this may be due to the copper feed lines and their proximity to the boiler. Even with them being slow, they are very reliable. They will pick up every time if you give them long enough
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

If the water feed tube to the injector gets warm like you describe that can certainly cause a slow lift. A long overflow pipe can also cause the delay
Soot n' Cinders

AnthonyDuarte wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:53 pm If the water feed tube to the injector gets warm like you describe that can certainly cause a slow lift. A long overflow pipe can also cause the delay
The overflows are pretty straight down, not a long run at all in my mind. Im pretty sure my issues are feed lines getting warm, but I dont know if theres any way to mitigate this on a steam locomotive...
-Tristan

Projects

AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Here is the video of the Nathan Monitors in action.

Enjoy,
Anthony

Soot n' Cinders

Those are so nice Anthony! I would love a pair at some point when I can afford it.
Personally, I would be interested in a set with functioning water valves. My shay does not have tank operated valves because they would be under my thighs. So currently I have an angle globe valve mounted at the inlet of your standard injectors for water flow. Granted, while running with the boiler over 100psi I dont need to adjust the valves at all. They only need throttling when boiler pressure falls down to around 80psi or less.
-Tristan

Projects

optigman

Post by optigman »

Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wms6

Post by wms6 »

Very nice 👍
4-6-2 Canadian Pacific finished 1973
0-8-0 Indiana Harbor Belt 102 in progress
Western Maryland Shay #6 in progress
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Soot n' Cinders wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:26 pm Personally, I would be interested in a set with functioning water valves.
Curious if anyone else would be interested in a functioning water valve? Mind you this would bring the price to $1800. New core mold, more parts, more testing, and likely a higher scrap rate of the main bodies. But if it's something people want, it's not too late to add it.

I was able to set my water valves to where they didn't have to be touched until around 50-60 psi, and at LALS I was able to run the 6.5 pint nozzles down to 20psi. I haven't played with the low end of the 5 pint nozzles, but they should behave the same as the Standard Injector.

I accidentally left out a clip about throttleability. Using the main steam valve, the injectors can be turned down to where you almost can't even hear that they're injecting water. I may post that as a separate video later.

Anthony