linkage pin material

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

thunderskunk

linkage pin material

Post by thunderskunk »

Hey folks,

What material do you use for the pins connecting linkages, rods, and such?

I was thinking of cheating and buying some gage pins since they're already hardened. They're tough to work with, but not impossible. Grind off the ends, drill and tap through, then loctite some castle-nut looking bolts on the outsides with a flat-headed bolt on the inside. Better yet, they make some reeeealy tiny oil embedded bushings that could work with some softer materials as pins.

Thanks for the input either way.
"We'll cross that bridge once we realize nobody ever built one."
Fred_V

Re: linkage pin material

Post by Fred_V »

I have been using Drill rod for the wrist pins and crank pins. It is easy to machine and wears well without hardening.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
One way to make little pins is to make them from L series steel and then case harden them. Even though this steel machines like butter you can case harden it and it will last and last. You can harden them with Kasenit or Cherry Red, which is available from McMaster. I have used this for things like the front end throttle linkage on the Nickel Plate Berkshires and New York Central Hudsons. These pins are tiny and any slop is multiplied as there are at least four of them. Also with tiny pins like this make the bushings from something tough like phosphor or silicons bronze. This is just how I do it, the other suggestions sounded good too.
Jack
Attachments
Compens.jpg
Throttle1.jpg
piedmontg

Post by piedmontg »

Hi
I have been using 1144 which is C23 in unhardened state, machines and threads nice. It is harder than O1 which is B85 in unhardened state. Data from McMaster charts.

Bob
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

Same as Fred. Drill rod. I don’t harden them and the oil bronze bushings wear faster and I haven’t seen any pin wear on my loco.
Matt Mason
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

drill rod is good...or I use 4140 prehard