Requesting assistance for board issues

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Harold_V

Requesting assistance for board issues

Post by Harold_V »

Readers,
I get countless requests for help on the board, and am happy to help, but please don't ask questions of me without providing at least a little guidance. I can't read your mind, and it is too time consuming for me to search the board in the hopes of finding the exact post or thread about which you would like help.

PLEASE------When you request help, provide a link to the page on which the help is required or desired. That assures I find the proper post or thread, and saves me considerable time.

If time is of the essence, make sure you provide a link with your request. If one is not received, I will send a PM making the request for one, delaying the desired action.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Highiron

Re: Requesting assistance for board issues

Post by Highiron »

Harold or any of the other Board model you please tell me why the site is not allowing me to go in and edit my posts when I put things up for sale the edit button is no longer there
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

The edit feature was removed from the board because one reader was removing posts after they had been on the board for extended periods of time. No amount of discussion with this individual resulted in the desired results, so the board administrator made the decision to remove the feature.

In truth, it still works, but is time sensitive, and has resulted in more work for moderators, assuming they do their job. A post can be edited for mistakes for a short interval after it is posted. Once that time lapses, in order for a post to be edited, a moderator or administrator must be called upon to do so.

I routinely mark items as sold, so long as the OP makes mention by an additional post. That creates more work for me, but if that keeps the board from being cannibalized, I don't mind. I take my duties seriously.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but this is a good example of how one uncooperative individual can single handedly ruin things for the masses.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

Thanks

I was just trying to save you some work

Thanks again

Mike
oldbrock

Post by oldbrock »

Oldbrock here, I don't seem to be able to access this site to use it anymore. have tried the long password for reset and it doesn't work for me. Just want to contribute again
Difficult done right away, impossible takes time.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

oldbrock wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:07 pm Oldbrock here, I don't seem to be able to access this site to use it anymore. have tried the long password for reset and it doesn't work for me. Just want to contribute again
Hmmm. That seems strange, as that you are able to post your comment proves that you ARE able to do so. No one can post on the board unless they are registered and logged in.

If you are experiencing problems, please describe them as well as you can so they can be addressed. You can do that by either posting further comments on this forum, or by contacting administration through the board.

We look forward to your contributions.

H
oldbrock

Post by oldbrock »

When I go to the site none of the options come up when I highlight them and hit enter.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Can you please be a bit more specific? You should be able to pick a sub-forum, then click on a given thread to view its contents. At what point is it that you are highlighting an option?

H
oldbrock

Post by oldbrock »

I'll probably unsubscribe and try to register again as nothing seems to work for me.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Try restarting your own computer to clear the access memory registers (correct term?).
That often resonlves issues I experience.
RussN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

oldbrock wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:05 pm I'll probably unsubscribe and try to register again as nothing seems to work for me.
Not recommended. There is no good reason why you shouldn't be able to access other fora, considering you are able to access this one.

Rebooting after clearing all your cookies may result in success, as RussN suggested. I highly recommend you try that before asking to be removed from the board, which you cannot do by yourself.

H
TimTheGrim

Post by TimTheGrim »

Right at the very bottom of this page is a

Delete all board cookies “ link clicker. (When you’re NOT yet logged in )

Click on that to reset this specific environment.
I used to have similar issues on an MC forum that uses this same software and it would allow me to log in after cleaning out any latent site cookies.
Illigitimi non Carborundum
'96 Birmingham mill, Enco 13x40 GH and Craftsman 6x18 lathes, Reid 2C surface grinder. Duro Bandsaw and lots of tooling from 30+ years in the machining trades and 15+ years in refinery units. Now retired