Water quick-disconnects for tender/loco

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

doublereefed

Water quick-disconnects for tender/loco

Post by doublereefed »

I need to fit some quick disconnects to the water lines on my tender. I have to split the loco/tender each time I load/unload and hose clamps are a PITA. The loco has a starvation axle pump so none of the lines are under pressure. 3 feeds x 1/4" and 1 feed x 5/16 (injector water). I saved the details on this topic from years ago, but the file is now corrupted.

In addition to the disconnects, I also need to know what you are all using for tubing. The stuff I have is way too stiff, I need a flexible line to go with the disconnects.

Thanks!
hoppercar

Re: Water quick-disconnects for tender/loco

Post by hoppercar »

there's a world of fittings to choose from, but for convience and availability, I find standard Parker air hose and barb fittings are the easiest to use,
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Jack Bodenmann uses a 1/16-wall oil resistant rubber tube from McMaster. He says to stuff a stainless compression spring inside it so it won't kink or collapse, but will still flex.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
doublereefed

Post by doublereefed »

Hoppercar, Greg - thanks for these tips. I'm on it!
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

Here's what I've been using for the Engine Tender Hose Fittings
Water;
Hose – Parker 831-4, ¼” ID, ½” OD
Swivel Fitting – Parker 30882-4-4B
Steam, Hot Water;
Hose – Parker 201/261-4, 3/16” ID, .52” OD
Swivel Fitting – Parker 20820-4-4
Mating Fitting – Parker 149F (Male 90 Deg Elbow), 159F (Male 45 Deg Elbow), Available with female thread also.
You could cross reference these numbers with Imperial Eastman, Sratoflex, etc., as I’m sure that they have equivalent items.
You could also get larger, or smaller, sizes of the above items if you wanted to increase, or decrease the hose size.
Bruno Platzer makes nice connections. They are scratch built from 1/8" pipe thread unions , from Mc Master,
or 3/8" ( 1/8" pipe thread ) unions from PM research.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

I've never liked the quick disconnects due to their bulkiness. On my last engine I took a 5/16" flare fitting and machined the brass part to accept an o-ring. The groove has a bit of back cut so the o-ring snaps on and stays. It really works great and is so easy to hook up.
Attachments
water connection2.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

I stock them in quarter inch 5/16 and 3/8 they are hose barb style fittings and go right on the end of your hose between the engine and tender they are single shut off if you're at Nick's Next Time Richard you'll see them on all of my engines and Paul engines
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Highiron wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:48 am I stock them in quarter inch 5/16 and 3/8 they are hose barb style fittings and go right on the end of your hose between the engine and tender they are single shut off if you're at Nick's Next Time Richard you'll see them on all of my engines and Paul engines
can you post up pictures Mike?
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

Joe Tanski sells nice quick disconnect fittings. One has 1/8" NPT, and the mating one has 1/4" hose barb. They have low flow resistance and work well with injectors.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

The fittings come from Hansen originally...get them from Joe
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I use Hanson quick-connect fittings on both my locomotives. 'Have worked perfectly for 15 years.
My accessory connections use the same: External air for fire-up, Blowdown outlets for water fill, and more.
~RN
Plumbing LSide small.jpg
doublereefed

Post by doublereefed »

NP317, tell me about the tubing you are using. I can see some specs written on the side but can't make it out.