A milestone day...

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

A milestone day...

Post by Greg_Lewis »

I wanted to title this thread “Happy Anniversary Sweetheart” but I thought that might be too over the top for Harold. But I hope he’ll find that this really does have steam related content and that he’ll let it remain. I'd like to share this with all my steamer friends.

I want to wish my sweetheart a happy 50th anniversary, and thank her for five decades of the most wonderful life a man could have. So often I go to live steam meets (here’s your content, Harold) and see guys there alone, their wives declining the opportunity to attend. Many of those spouses have no interest in our hobby and thus no desire to join their husbands in the fun. Some wives not only fail to support their husbands’ interest but work against it by complaining about the time and money spent. On this site we too often suffer trite comments about getting the wife to allow the kitchen oven to be used for tempering a piece of steel, or heating something for a press fit.

But my sweetheart goes to the meets with me, takes rides, and once took the throttle. She has sewn up canvas covers for my equipment, and never says a word about spending a few bucks to get to the track, or on goodies from McMaster Carr. She wants me to work on my projects, and several times a week, she’ll ask me if I’ll have time to get out to the shop that day. At some point she’ll wander out to see what I’ve made, and even if it is the most trivial little bit, she’ll be impressed. And the toaster oven is as much for heating parts as it is for toasting bagels.

Our 30th anniversary was at Train Mountain. So were two others — which ones I don’t remember, but my sweetheart didn’t hesitate to spend the time there. This year we are in England to spend the day with some dear friends — no trains (but we did take a train to get here :D ). Next week we’ll be in Ireland, after which she’ll go with me to the London Museum of Water and Steam; the Crossness pumping engine; and the Romney, Hythe, and Dymchurch railway. And I’ll go with her to all the cathedrals, ancient ruins, and history museums she wants to visit.

So thank you sweetheart. Thank you for fifty wonderful years. Thank you for supporting my hobby. Thank you for all the wonderful adventures we’ve had, the children we’ve raised, and the love you’ve given, selflessly, unconditionally. Happy fiftieth. I love you.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Pontiacguy1

Re: A milestone day...

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I believe it was Proverbs that says: "A wife of noble character is worth far more than rubies." Congratulations on 50 yrs.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Congrats Greg! That's some milestone. Sadly, there are fewer and fewer other people reaching that point in their relationship. This due to personal differences or worse, health matters.

Spending time involved with hobby endeavors (shop, club track and more)...just tell the wife (and others too)...the nice thing about the live steam hobby, in addition to personal friendships made along the way is...this hobby keeps me off the streets and out of the bars! (safer and healthier)

Wife and I are coming up on 24 years over the weekend ourselves. Hasn't always been smooth running, but it's been an interesting ride! Sometimes, the journey is as much fun, or more so...than the destination. Wouldn't trade it.

Enjoy your travels. Have a safe return. And...best wishes to you and your bride Greg, for a few more years! Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Whoops...better make that 29 years. Well, at least I remembered the day! :oops: Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Greg:
Perfect post.
Thanks for sharing, and Congratulations.
~RN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Harold is more than understanding, and has read and enjoyed this thread with pleasure. Fact is, Thursday (June 27th) was my 42nd anniversary, and I share the sentiments so eloquently stated by Greg.

While my numbers of years being married don't match Greg's (this is a second marriage for both Susan and me), I have had the privilege of sharing those 42 years with a loving and caring wife, one who suggested I purchase the Haas mill that occupies my shop. How many guys have a wife that encourages one to spend well in excess of $10,000 for a hobby?

Congratulations, Greg, on your years of marriage, and especially for having the wisdom to have chosen a life-long mate. May you have many more years of pleasure together.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Thank you all for your thoughts, and happy anniversary to Harold and Carl. While my sweetie would probably also OK a Haas mill, I'd be wise to reciprocate. She likes diamonds! :lol:
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

what are your plans for the next 50?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
dash9

Post by dash9 »

My Wife thinks this is a really cheap hobby, Told her I paid 200.00 for the dash 9 and the cars are 25.00 each. Told my kids if I die don't let her sell them. She will sell the trailer full for 300.00. Only 2 more years and 50 big ones married, and I only wanted to leave for 47.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Congratulations Greg. We have you beat by 364 days. Today is our 51st anniversary.

My wife hasn't been quite as directly involved in the hobby as yours, but she has been supportive and accompanied me on many live steam related trips and outings. One of the earliest hobby related gifts I can recall her giving me was the Craftsman bench grinder and stand press that I still use that she bought for me as a surprise in about 1973.

An example of her tolerance was when our son was born. He had to stay a couple of extra days in the hospital before being released. His release was on the day of a big meet at Hank Blossom's track in Wimberly, Texas. So we left the house in San Antonio, stopped by the hospital to pick up Adam, and charged up to Wimberly for the day before Adam had even been to his own new house.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Dick: Glad to see that your priorities are in the right place. Start the kid off right. Did he get the infection?

Bill: Next 50? Build another engine :P
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Did he get the infection?
Nope, although my daughter has helped out on several Alaska Railroad 557 events and did the narration on our YouTube video (she used to be a disk jockey).