Gluvit

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Gluvit

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Anyone have a recommendation on the use of Gluvit to repair a leaky tender?

My 1950 vintage tender started leaking around the outlet recently. I found the builder used some sort of seal coat inside the galvanized riveted tank. The innner sealer finally failed and started flaking off, hence the leak.

I’ve since replaced the outlet plate and welded in some new sheet metal to replace a bit of rotted sheet metal, near the leak. However the heat of welding has opened up two small leaks around the front edge of the tank. Iam thinking of mixing up a bead of gluvit to paint around the inside bottom seal (about 12” linear inches) in hopes of saturating the area of the leak.

Just wondering if anyone has used this stuff and what your experiences are?

Thanks
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Fred_V

Re: Gluvit

Post by Fred_V »

I have used gas tank sealer with good success.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I like PQR sealants and / or Devcon rubber (mix up a batch, paint it on fast and throw away brush).
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

The issue of tank sealing comes up here from time to time and folks have all sorts of solutions. IMHO, the best solution is to use a tank sealant like what the antique auto restorers use. Since it's made for sealing tanks, it should work. All the other solutions seem to me to be shots in the dark. I used the KBS Gold Standard Tank Sealer, but you must also prep the tank properly. I bought their complete kit which includes the cleaner.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.