Recommendation needed for copper boiler repairs

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Fred_V

Re: Recommendation needed for copper boiler repairs

Post by Fred_V »

A friend with this same engine had firebox leaks and could not raise steam due to pressure building and spraying on the fire.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Everyone seems to assume that this locomotive has the cast furnace from Little Engines.
Could you post some pictures? Our recommendations would be more meaningful if we knew exactly what you have.
And if a new boiler is needed...there are real advantages to copper. With a better factor of safety you can use thinner sheets resulting in better water space in the mud legs. And with care, excellent longevity. I have several 3/4” scale locomotives with copper boilers built in the 1930’s that are still safe good steaming boilers. You also mention that under a cold hydraulic test you found some minor leaks. I would try steam testing as you would be amazed at what tiny weeps will close up when hot. If you do another hydraulic test....do NOT apply air to get the test pressure. You MUST use a mechanical pump. Testing a boiler with even a small amount of compressed air is dangerous.
Keith Taylor
Fender

Post by Fender »

LVRR2095 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:39 pm Everyone seems to assume that this locomotive has the cast furnace from Little Engines.
I made no such assumption. I indicated that COPPER boilers brazed with low-silver SIL-FOS rods and burning COAL for fuel have this problem. It is up to the owner to determine whether this is the issue with his boiler.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Keith, given the locomotive and its age, and lacking any other information, that would be a reasonable assumption to make for the sake of discussion.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN