injector problem

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

hoppercar

injector problem

Post by hoppercar »

I have two brand new superscale economy injectors...one works great, the other is sporadic. I've tried everything I can think of. I have screens on the intakes, in the tender. I took the steam cone, and delivery come out, according to the directions, that came with the injectors...there clean..the cupped, washer check is free, and facing the right way. when operating, open the water, turn on the steam....had good flow out the overflow....start cutting the water back, and then you think it's going to go...but at the last second it mis-fires.......sounds like and air leak to me ?... I tried squirting a hose, on all the water connections while trying to start the injector. I figured if there was an air leak, the injector would start, with the hose on the fitting, and the culprit would be apprehended...but so far nothing....aarrrrggghhhhh.
hoppercar

Re: injector problem

Post by hoppercar »

it's seems like the several times I could get it to start, it was right near popping pressure at 120 psi.... but anything say below 110 psi...it just spits and sputters ?.. air leak in the water suction?...if there is, I cant find it?.....I'm having thoughts about this cupped washer, check valve inside?...I wonder if it's sticking ..?
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

have you tried using a short hose connected to the water inlet and using a coffee cup of water to see if it will pick up?
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

also, have you tried swapping the two injectors to see if the problem follows?
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

if you swap the locations of the injectors....does the problem move with the injector or stay with the location?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

incantations of black magic is sometimes helpful if all else fails.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Tim...

I'd pull the injector cone out of the body. Will take a deep 5/16" socket (if I remember) to get up inside. If you know about the washer, sounds like you've already had the cone assembly out. Pull that out and make sure all the fine cross-drilled holes are clear. DO NOT stick a wire thru those holes if you find some of them are plugged. Have found I can usually blow out anything blocking a hole by mouth.

The check valve disk needs to slide somewhat easily up and down the stem at top. Hope the stem is clean. And yes, believe the cupped end of the check valve disk goes up. Reassemble and snug the cone in place. Same for the bottom cap. Sometimes, when holding the injector in your hand...can you hear the check valve when you shake the injector up 'n down?

Still having problems? Rig up a separate hose and bucket of water not far below the injector level...and connect that to your injector feed water inlet. In other words, bypass all the tender piping and connecting hoses for now. Need to make sure the injector works. If the injector picks up fine...would think this indicates a problem with your water feed piping. Doesn't take much of a hole and air infiltration to spoil the water lift.

Until you can isolate the problem, don't assume anything. EVERYTHING is suspect! This is an exercise in process of elimination! Can also try swapping injectors to see if you have the same problem with the other injector in place...and vice-versa.

That about all I can come up with having a view from a few hundred miles away! Maybe someone else has some ideas. Keep us posted. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

hmmm....there's some good thoughts, I have not tried. I'll try swapping the injectors, and see if the problem follows?....and the short hose in a can of water, to eliminate and tender piping leak. ...In the mean time until I fire up again, I took off the injector in question, shook it....couldn't really hear the check washer?.... took the bottom cap off, and unthreaded the delivery cone, the cupped washer is facing the right way, but I polished the shaft it rides on with some 1000 grit paper...all the small holes are clear. seems like maybe that washer might be just a fuzz sticky on the cone?...put it back together....now I can hear the washer rattle....now I'm anxious to fire up again........
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Tim...if you ever have problems with the injector while the loco is under steam...here's what I do.
1) turn the water on and let it flow thru the injector. Don't need full flow for this. This helps cool the injector. Makes in manageable to handle the injector parts if they're hot.
2) with the water still on, remove the bottom cap from the injector.
3) remove the delivery cone. DON'T DROP the check valve washer in the rocks or dirt under the steaming bay (don't ask how I know this).
4) make sure the delivery cone holes are clear (hold up to light so you can see thru). If not, blow out whatever is blocking the hole(s).
5) make sure the check valve slides somewhat easily on the stem.
6) reassemble.
7) turn the water on full.
8 ) open the steam valve. Listen for that sweet "swoosh" sound of the injector working.
9) back off the water flow if water is dumping out the injector overflow.

Hope that helps you. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Don't forget the check valve on the boiler. I had similar problems that turned out to be a stuck check valve at the boiler.

JB
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

try using a garden hose and flood water all over the the water connections from the tender. If you have an air leak this will usually plug the leak with water and make the injector pick up.
Fred
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

I mentioned that in my earlier post......nothing