Restored 2-4-4-2

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Rob Gardner

Re: Restored 2-4-4-2

Post by Rob Gardner »

Paul and Sam Poole own Don Marshall's Skookum. I've seen pics and video of another one down in Florida. There are also 1 or 2 1" models at or near the St. Croix club.

True compounding mallets are rare in operating live steam models. I believe the late Dick Thomas built a NYC 2-6-6-2 in 1.5" scale that was a compound as well. Not sure where that one is now. Haven't seen any proof of it running in many years.

Rob Gardner
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Don also had built a 3/4" sc Skookum before the 1.5 sc that was a true compound, however, it didn't work very well. That one is in a box in pieces at Mike McClure's shop. At the time of Don's passing, he was working on a compound Vulcan locomotive, I have that one, in parts and pieces. The fabricated cylinder sure looks complex.

Jim B
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I believe that will be at the Niles Canyon RR.

Wish I could have witnessed how they transported the Skookum from Garibaldi to Niles Canyon.
No rail connections exist from there. Just twisty 2-lane roads from the coast.
Must have been an interesting adventure.
RN
thej611

Post by thej611 »

Yes she is at Niles canyon . She went by truck . I lived in portland for years but missed this one.
Scroggin

Post by Scroggin »

Excuse my ignorance but is there any particular reason why compound engines dont work well in miniature? Is it because we use lower pressure than the prototype?
Ken Schroeder

Post by Ken Schroeder »

I built my 1 1/2" scale model of the Shookum a little over 30 years ago and have put a lot of miles on it. I can operate it simple or compound and you can see the difference between the two operating methods. In simple you will slip the front drivers under load and in compound it will slip the rear drivers under load. I installed some ball valves to control the operation and can switch from simple to compound with one valve handle. When operating compound it is a wet locomotive even though I have a re-heater between the high and low pressure cylinders. I also do some super heat on the steam to the high pressure cylinders also. The locomotive was on the cover of the December 1990 issue of Live Steam magazine.

Ken
thej611

Post by thej611 »

Really nice Ken
My dad and I were just at IRM and were looking at the Y . it has the valve between the front and rear driver set that allowed them to switch between simple and compound. My dad has been talking to the crew doing the c & o 1309 and they have the valve there also . It is really great that you put this on your engine . Thank you for sharing . Do you have any pictures
Short Line Tom

Post by Short Line Tom »

....... Do you have any pictures
Here's Ken's masterpiece.

Cheers!
Tom
thej611

Post by thej611 »

Thank you so much for the link . Amazing engine !