Unexpected Injector Failure Cause

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Builder01

Re: Unexpected Injector Failure Cause

Post by Builder01 »

Brown is the new Black........ahem........sorry Bill.
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

i was reading, that the manufacturers of viton o rings, dont recommend them for steam service
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

that is true...even more so with buna....

Viton has been shown over the decades to be OK in the 100 psi steam range for static seals, packing and even piston rings. BvB's steam pumps are all built with Viton O-Rings and generally run just fine.

There are better compounds available now...but I have several 1000 Viton rings of various sizes that I will continue to use.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

i think the problem with these valves I purchased, is the fact, when you pull them open, the o ring comes out of the bore....this constant going on and out of the bore, tends to cut the o ring
Chris Hollands

Post by Chris Hollands »

FYI - Viton o rings can be ordered in various colors and markings
Brown and lite green are very common and are used too verify the o ring is different from a standard o ring .
Also you will find black or brown o rings with little green dots on them which is also used to signal the o ring is Viton .
Equipment spare parts kits especially for hydraulics components use this format extensively .
Green o rings are more expensive than brown and brown is more expensive than black .
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

i use the 'pill bottle marking method'. :D

that and the fact that I never order anything except viton or silicone (which is RED).
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

hoppercar wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:37 pm i was reading, that the manufacturers of viton o rings, dont recommend them for steam service
Consider that "steam service" is a rather all-inclusive term that includes temperatures and pressures much higher than what we have in our applications. One source I checked lists the working temperature of a Viton o-ring as up to 440°F, while superheated steam in industrial situations would be much hotter.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

look in msc catalog, at the o ring chart....it grades viton as poor, for steam service...
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I would prefer to look at specific applications (temp / pressure) for a given material than take a reseller's generic rating..as an engineer..that's what I do..

'steam service' is a very broad brush with which to paint a canvas.
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

me too...I've used viton, and it's ok In most applications, but I prefer to use aflas.....even the manufacturer of viton, does not recommend it for steam or hot water
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

Is this O ring designed to have radial compression between the valve steem and housing with adequate axiel clearance to allow for expansion? Or is being squeezed axiel like a graphite packing? If its being squeezed then its going to expand in the trapped volume and tend to do what's happening.

Rob