Truck history

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

cp4449

Truck history

Post by cp4449 »

Is there a website that I can go to to get the years certain style trucks were used (Arch, Andrews, Bettendorf, the odd ones, the modern roller/non roller bearing)? Arch from 1865 to 1900?, Andrews from 1880 to 1920? It would help a lot with a model I am working on
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
Glenn Brooks

Re: Truck history

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Chris, I’ve done a little bit of research on this, and never really came up with a definitive history all in one place. Locomotive cyclopedias for the various years are excellent resources, but usually they focus on what was up and coming technology for the era. Older era designs being replaced with newer, more current equipment. I wonder if the Cal State RR museum in Sacramento would have a good resource for you?

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Fender

Post by Fender »

If you google "car builders dictionary" you will find several editions of this reference, going back to 1879. As you review them, you can get an idea of what was offered. The archbar truck was king back then. The Fox and other brands of pressed-steel trucks were introduced about 1890 and were popular for a while, but were mostly supplanted by cast-steel trucks by 1910. Of course, the older designs remained in service for years afterwards.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Fender

Post by Fender »

The 1909 Dictionary shows the T-frame Bettendorf cast-steel trucks, It also shows these pressed-steel trucks: Buckeye, Cleveland Car Specialty, Fox, and several versions of archbar trucks.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Fender

Post by Fender »

By 1916 most of the pressed-steel sideframes had disappeared, replaced by cast-steel. Some, like Andrews, Barber, Crown and Barber used standard MCB journal boxes bolted onto the cast sideframe. Others, like Bettendorf and Vulcan cast the journal box integral to the sideframe. And archbar trucks were still offered too. Aftr this, you're on your own, because the copyrights have not expired and the Carbuilders Dictionaries are not available online, to my knowledge.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

It's been a while since I looked at it, but my recollection is that White's book on railroad passenger cars (not on the Internet, though) has information on the development of trucks.
squandt

Post by squandt »

I have a book called" The Steam Locomotive in America" by Alfred W. Bruce from 1952. It cover's just about everything to do with the Steam Locomotive,there are photos (builders prints) line drawings and text that give information.I do not recall were I got it, I have seen it on the book site for EBAY,if you can find it you will find the info you are looking for.
stay on the shine side of the rail