Bagley burner install

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

optigman

Re: Bagley burner install

Post by optigman »

McMaster Carr. Glass. Cutter. Square section o-rings. 1 stop shopping. I like the red lined glass they offer.
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

Thanks, dumb of me to not include the diameter.....I found a better unit and purchased it.
Thanks for the reply.
Tom
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

optigman wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:18 pm Not sure how well the spark plug will hold up directly in the path of the flame. Some have success with ain the path of the flame. The rod glows red hot and if the fire sucks out the glowing rod immediately re-ignites the hot atomized mixture.
Hi where can I get tungsten or ceramic rod ?
Thank you
Tom Emfinger
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Tungsten rod of various diameters is readily available from welding supply stores. It's used as the electrode for TIG welding.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

Thank you very much.
Tom
Dave_Johnson

Post by Dave_Johnson »

New Model T coils are 80 bucks. Spark plugs are dirt cheap, some plug wire and 6 or 12 volt power source and you are good to go.
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

jcbrock wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:03 am I don't know Bill about the 'safe', seems like the right thing to do would be to stop, let a little blower clear things, and then relight with a wick. Strictly my opinion based on mistakes I have made. But practical, yeah, I'll give that.
John, I was just surfing and reread the above. I must say when the exhaust sucks out the flame I push the button and in less than a second it's lit. Now mind you I built a spark generator that ticks off a 100,000+ volt spark. The thing I built is smaller than a cagar box and the 4 "D" cells have been doing the job for more than 3 years.

PS
It sparks as long as I press the button.

Just saying
Tom
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Worrying about spark plugs in an oil flame...looking for ceramic and tungsten rods?

Anybody ever looked at what a spark plug is made from and what the operating conditions in which they are designed to operate?

I must be missing something in my old age...either that or plug design has changed in the 20 years since I had to change a set in one of my cars .
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

I had the opportunity to view a spark plug in action. In a combustion chamber doing its thing. Until you have seen that you have no idea what happens, I sure didn't and I have never forgotten that experience it happened in 1961.

As far as a spark plug in an oil flame " I don't think 100,000 volts care".

https://youtu.be/tpW6XFYYMoo
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

Bill Shields wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:32 pm Worrying about spark plugs in an oil flame...looking for ceramic and tungsten rods?

Anybody ever looked at what a spark plug is made from and what the operating conditions in which they are designed to operate?

I must be missing something in my old age...either that or plug design has changed in the 20 years since I had to change a set in one of my cars .
I had the opportunity to view a spark plug in action. In a combustion chamber doing its thing. Until you have seen that you have no idea what happens, I sure didn't and I have never forgotten that experience it happened in 1961.

As far as a spark plug in an oil flame " I don't think 100,000 volts care".

https://youtu.be/tpW6XFYYMoo
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Emfinger wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:01 pm
jcbrock wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:03 am I don't know Bill about the 'safe', seems like the right thing to do would be to stop, let a little blower clear things, and then relight with a wick. Strictly my opinion based on mistakes I have made. But practical, yeah, I'll give that.
John, I was just surfing and reread the above. I must say when the exhaust sucks out the flame I push the button and in less than a second it's lit. Now mind you I built a spark generator that ticks off a 100,000+ volt spark. The thing I built is smaller than a cagar box and the 4 "D" cells have been doing the job for more than 3 years.

PS
It sparks as long as I press the button.

Just saying
Tom
Glad you found something that works for you Tom. I was basing my choice on hauling the public on an 18" gauge rr, where I always tried to err on the conservative side. That said, I can't recall doing it after getting qualified, you get an ear for the fire thinning out in addition to keeping the light haze in the stack.
John Brock