Little Engines Wendy?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, cbrew

ChipsAhoy

Little Engines Wendy?

Post by ChipsAhoy » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:28 am

I see on DLS want adds an engine described as a "Little Engines Wendy". Did Little Engines ot one time sell a kit, plans or castings for a Wendy?
Scotty

cp4449

Re: Little Engines Wendy?

Post by cp4449 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:13 pm

I will say "No", neither in 1 1/2" or 1" scales. This must have been kit bashed together with some LE castings.
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member

Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:24 pm

The true Wendy was a kit from a Canadian company named MEG, IIRC? I think they went under after only a few were delivered...

There is another ad on the same site right now that refers to "tiny engines" when I believe it is a "Little Engines" loco...

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:31 pm

Kimball McGinley wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:24 pm
There is another ad on the same site right now that refers to "tiny engines" when I believe it is a "Little Engines" loco...
It's Little Engines, only tiny-er. :-)

Steve

FRED DADDI

Little Engines Wendy?

Post by FRED DADDI » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:34 pm

I built a boiler for one 20 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201910 ... 905855.jpg[/IMG]

James Powell

Post by James Powell » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:37 pm

Tony and Dougal Hubner designed MEG, and I know of at least 2 up here (Steve's @ VIME, and one at Kingston Ont), plus Harlock on here has one. That's 3 finished locos, which isn't too bad. I don't believe they "went under", but I don't think they are active, which is rather a different position. They were available in anything up to bolt together or RTR, but I think the intent had been to supply drawings and hard to machine (wheels/cylinders/motion) as ready machined parts. I know Dougal was active on Youtube not too long ago.

James

FRED DADDI

Post by FRED DADDI » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:11 am

I visited Jack Sauter the “ North American” rep in the DC area in the late 90 while i was building my Wendy boiler. The plan was he would help you in the States if i remember. There is also an o gauge design from them as well as a speeder both of which i have drawings for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FRED DADDI

Post by FRED DADDI » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:14 am

I think Dougal was a good designer with an eye towards “ easy to build”. I drove Jack Sauters Wendy and it was awesome. I was able to bank the fire break for lunch and come back without needing to re attach a blower. My family is trying to talk me out of finishing Wendy as it is too big....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwerhart0800

Post by gwerhart0800 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:43 am

The other odd thing about that engine is it does not have a traditional firebox.

https://auctions.discoverlivesteam.com/ ... 1572529400
George Erhart
Loveland, CO
https://lovelandcreatorspace.com

Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:58 am

Those descriptions are very indicative of someone who doesn't know jack about what they are selling! Look at that MEG locomotive, the drivers, smoke box, cylinders, etc... Doesn't look like there is a single Little Engines casting on it anywhere to me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never seen or heard of LE selling anything for a MEG in the past 35 years or more. It may be a great locomotive in good shape, and it looks really nice, but I'd be leery of buying it without inspecting and test-running it first. The other "tiny engines" locomotive has a picture in there where you can clearly read the words "Little Engines" on the casting.

A lot of Australian Designed locomotives have that marine style boiler on them. They are a lot easier to make, which is why some people use them. I've seen several of them run, and they all seemed to do OK and the locomotive ran fine.