I thought this was supposed to be fun.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

I thought this was supposed to be fun.

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Well, Mama said there’d be days like this. Yesterday I spent 5 hours out there and managed to glue two pieces of wood. Long ago I decided I wanted to make my cab from wood, and make it as close to the prototype as humanly possible. I like to do that. Or so I thought. But I’ve picked the hardest, most inconvenient, most error-prone, most troublesome, dumbest way to make this cab. Now that I’m too far into it, I realized a way that would have been orders of magnitude easier. And the evil shop fairy dogged me all day — everything I tried to do was infected with fumbles, lack of a third hand, lack of the right hardware, false starts, dropped things that roll under the workbench, tangled cords, confusion and frustration. On top of that, the field mice are stealing the bait and tripping the traps and escaping. Last night a damn mouse stole the whole stinking trap!

Nuts.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
gwrdriver

Re: I thought this was supposed to be fun.

Post by gwrdriver »

When I realize it's going to be that kind of session . . I simply walk away and let it go for a while. Seriously. I just KNOW when it won't be a good day and I walk out right then, before I do any damage, or more damage.

BTW, I've always liked your motto. :)
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Craig

Post by Craig »

Greg,
That mouse must be Mighty Mouse. When everything is going the wrong way, I go work on something else for a while. The while could be hours, days, weeks or it has even been years. The funny thing is with a new frame of mind and a some additional thinking things usually work out much better on the next try. 🙂
PS It is always fun, some days are a lot more fun then others! Good luck
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Craig wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:05 pm Greg,
That mouse must be Mighty Mouse.
You got that. I got one by the front door last week, but this critter is coming in the back. So far he's licked all the peanut butter off all six traps all over the shop without springing the traps. Then he sprung two traps by the back door without getting caught. Then I switched to dog food pellets tied to the trip levers. He chewed on one and sprang the trap again. So I thought I'd switch to dog jerky. I put two traps out un-set with bits of jerky on them so he'd acclimate himself to the traps. He took both jerky bits. So then I set up two with the jerky tied to the trip levers, and he stole one of those traps. I'm thinking he's somewhere in the shop with his leg caught in the trap, but I've looked in all the places I think he could go while dragging a trap and I don't see him. (Could be a she, eh?) I put out sticky boards and all I'm getting there are millipedes and crickets.

I hate these little buggers. They ate up the dust bag on my chop saw and have chewed up the canvas covers for some of my machines. One got into one of the drawers under the lathe and chewed into a ball of twine I keep there. Last winter, while servicing my truck, I pulled the air cleaner housing to check the filter and found a nest in the intake. No mouse though. I wonder if he was in there when I ran the truck. I'm going to have to have a serious chat with the great horned owls that nest around here. They are not doing their jobs.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

gwrdriver wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:52 pm ...
BTW, I've always liked your motto. :)
Thx. V.2 is "Home of the dull toolbit."
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I once had that problem with mice in one of my locos.

it is amazing how quickly you can burn up the nest and occupants with the opening of a valve and CLICK of an igniter.

sure...it smelled a little odd for a while, but by the end of the day....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Mice.
I use several of these wind-up live traps at our home and shop:
https://www.amazon.com/Kness-101-0-002- ... 22&sr=8-27
They work wonderfully and were recommended by our local "Critter Man." No bait even required. Mice like to explore small openings...

In October I caught all 4 mice in my shop. Once one gets caught, others go in to "help."
Got them all.
I teach then to swim in the irrigation ditch adjoining our property...

Greg:
Sorry you had a tough day in the shop. My similar day was 3 days ago.
There are times. Fortunately they are not often.
There's always tomorrow.
RussN
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Bill Shields wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:02 am I once had that problem with mice in one of my locos.

it is amazing how quickly you can burn up the nest and occupants with the opening of a valve and CLICK of an igniter.

sure...it smelled a little odd for a while, but by the end of the day....
Oohhhh... nasty :roll: :twisted:

Russ: Thanks for the tip on the trap. I'll try one. Or two. Or fifteen.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Hickory, dickory, dock. Three mice ran up the clock. The clock struck one...and the other two escaped with minor injuries!
Sorry Greg...couldn't resist.

Would point to one of the lines in my signature...
Life, is like a sewer. What you get out of it, depends on what you put into it! (Tom Lehrer)

If the cab is that much of a problem...do yourself a favor and start over with a clear-er vision in your head how to make the parts and pieces go together without so much frustration, a third hand, or whatever the issue might be. Work smarter...not harder! And remember...SOMETIMES... the journey is more fun than the destination! Have fun (?). Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

A simple solution . . . .
Attachments
kitty1.jpg
kitty1.jpg (10.72 KiB) Viewed 7143 times
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

The 5-gallon bucket, coat hanger, and rolling pop can smeared with peanut butter trick was rather effective for me that last time I had rodent issues. Got 6 in one night. Just make sure you apply the peanut butter so the can is nicely balanced and fill the bucket with the right amount of water.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

ccvstmr wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:02 pm Hickory, dickory, dock. Three mice ran up the clock. The clock struck one...and the other two escaped with minor injuries!
Sorry Greg...couldn't resist.
No soup for you. Go to the end of the line! :!:

ccvstmr wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:02 pm ... Work smarter...not harder!
How does that work when you're a moron? :shock:
ccvstmr wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:02 pm And remember...SOMETIMES... the journey is more fun than the destination! Have fun (?). Carl B.
I'm going to the dentist tomorrow. At least there they give you Novocaine. :lol:
Greg Lewis, Prop.