Re-light an oil burner

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Emfinger

Re-light an oil burner

Post by Emfinger »

Hello, I have a 2-4-2 oil burner that has a spark plug in the center of the firebox. My question is what can I use to spark the plug and will it re-light the oil spray?
Thank you
Tom
jcbrock

Re: Re-light an oil burner

Post by jcbrock »

You basically have to recreate an automotive ignition, you can search around on the internet for more examples but here is one: https://www.instructables.com/id/Simple ... -to-spark/. You can probably replace the points with a normally-closed pushbutton.

In my opinion it is safer to stop, vent things with the blower, and relight using a wick, but I guess many people do use the sparkplug to do a 'rolling relight'. It's safer than lighting off the bricks anyway.
John Brock
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

Interesting, do you think it will re-light? Using a normally closed button I think the battery will die in a short time. I don't know where I would put a car battery. Thanks for the reply.
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

You're probably right, a momentary contact pushbutton would probably do the job and not drain the battery. My thought was the circuit needs to be closed to charge the coil and opened to create the spark, but it'll likely charge fast enough through the momentary contact.
John Brock
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

I used a commercial spark plug igniter connected to a Ford spark generator. Worked fine a short time but in the same short time the oil fouled the plug. Simple solution is to carry a propane torch with push button start. As it turns out after firing for several years on oil I have learned how not to put the fire out. Now about the only time I do it is because I left the injector on and the atomizer pulls over water.

I forgot that I also have an oil firing style door with a hole in the middle. The torch fits right thru and bingo your alive again.

John B
Peter Crisler

Post by Peter Crisler »

Emfinger wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:15 pm Hello, I have a 2-4-2 oil burner that has a spark plug in the center of the firebox. My question is what can I use to spark the plug and will it re-light the oil spray?
Thank you
Tom
You might look at this site.

http://www.model-engine-plans.com/
Dave_Johnson

Post by Dave_Johnson »

Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

I wonder if you could just use a push to spark thingy out of an old BBQ?

If you need more horsepower a match and can of WD - 40 would shoot a
Nice flame into the Smokebox.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Dave_Johnson

Post by Dave_Johnson »

Piezo lighters will work on propane, but not oil.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

jcbrock wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:24 pm You're probably right, a momentary contact pushbutton would probably do the job and not drain the battery. My thought was the circuit needs to be closed to charge the coil and opened to create the spark, but it'll likely charge fast enough through the momentary contact.
Think about how quickly it has to recharge after each spark in an engine.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Consider using a handheld electric arc lighter:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

I just purchased several for use at home and to try using it for the steam atomized oil-fired boiler on my steam launch, and for my propane fired locomotives.
The 1/8" long arc runs as long as you press the ON button.
RussN
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

Thanks everyone I know a model "T" coil will make a hot spark, just don't have any room for a battery. I purchased a BBQ lighter...not much of a spark.
Tom