Worthington Duplex pump & Brass Hex head screws

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Drprez

Worthington Duplex pump & Brass Hex head screws

Post by Drprez »

I have a worthington duplex pump but I think I have had nothing with problems with it as I got it used and was damaged greatly. I need a new waterside check valve headers, and the small steam valve shafts as they are bent and dont go into the steam chest smoothly.

With that being said I can get it working with the piston caps loose so not to put too much pressure on the shaft so the packing dont stop it from moving but when i do that well you see whats next. i get tons of steam coming out of all the pistons too.

during this process becasue i have had to take it apart so many times well my tiny m2 brass hex head screws are starting to fail

So my questions are:

1) Does anyone have a worthington duplex they are willing to part with that I could purchase from you? Or where can you get parts for them I cant find anyone that sell this pump.

2) WHERE can you get m1, m2, m2.5 brass hex head screws at? I can find nuts all over no problem but cant find the dang screw/bolt anywhere in variousl lengths and in these micro sizes.

3) does the worthington use a lot of steam for the little it produces? I think mine does or im doing it wrong. help

4) should I replace the pump with a different type? what type? why? and where to buy it?

https://youtu.be/7mU67al4qoI

https://youtu.be/l10YuZXOw2I

Thanks

Nick
Attachments
IMG_3425.jpg
IMG_2032.jpg
IMG_4099.jpg
Nicholas Kalair
Las Vegas, NV

...the best is yet to come...
NP317

Re: Worthington Duplex pump & Brass Hex head screws

Post by NP317 »

That pump looks like it may be one of the Coles Power Models casting kit pumps, long gone from the sales market.
(I'd love to be proven wrong on that statement.)
Without a scale along side I cannot determine the physical size of the pump.

If it is a Coles pump, I am not aware that anyone built them for sale, so machined parts are not likely available.
From your description, some remanufacturing may be required to get it working consistently.
RussN
Drprez

Post by Drprez »

07343BCD-72CD-4756-AAE8-F59B6BC2C1E2.jpeg
It says worthington on top in the casting.

It is about 7 inches long x 2.5 wide.

Any help?
Attachments
ADBB347E-6D43-4083-96A6-27D118CF1FBB.jpeg
Nicholas Kalair
Las Vegas, NV

Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

The prints called out machine screw sizes, not metric. Someone may have built it with metric fasteners, but I would double check to make sure. There is also a possibility that BA screws were used. They are related to metric sizes.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Brass metric fasteners seem to be an odd choice for something made in the U.S. The prints called out machine screw sizes, not metric. Someone may have built it with metric fasteners, but I would double check to make sure. There is also a possibility that BA screws were used. They are related to metric sizes. Both machine screw and BA sized fasteners are available to the hobby market in brass.
Drprez

Post by Drprez »

The brass screws I’m talking in general for my locomotive the screws are 3/16 on the pump but again where do you buy brass 3/16 hex head screws I can’t find them

Have you tried To google 3/16 brass hex head screw nobody sells them.

so if you say they are available give me a specific store in a link so I can buy them don’t just talk in general so I can get to the bottom of my search and get the screws I need please
Nicholas Kalair
Las Vegas, NV

Drprez

Post by Drprez »

Here is a drawing for those that p want it
Attachments
622F28D3-29B4-498E-8B72-65C6CBF18010.jpeg
622F28D3-29B4-498E-8B72-65C6CBF18010.jpeg (52.35 KiB) Viewed 6437 times
FD7DF32D-7E8E-47C1-9DC2-1BD0C3ED3594.jpeg
Nicholas Kalair
Las Vegas, NV

rudd

Post by rudd »

These folks bought out American Model Engineering, which made imperial sized miniature fasteners.
http://www.godshallscustommachining.com ... upply.html

Here's the catalogue from the original website.
http://www.americanmodeleng.com/id14.html

Here's a place with metric and imperial.
https://jimorrisco.com/shop.asp
jkimberln

Post by jkimberln »

Chris Hollands

Post by Chris Hollands »

Maybe find out exactly what you have , one minute you require metric and now you require imperial sizing .
Look up model engineering suppliers / supply and you will find all sorts of brass screws and bolts .
If you are after BA then UK/Aust is your best bet , if you are after imperial then the US is your best bet or companies like micro fasteners in the US or for small metric - Model Motorcars in Florida or online hobby shops that sell the remote control off road cars and helicopters they have a large range of model size metric hex bolts in steel or s/s from 1.6mm up .
I use a company out of the UK - GWR fasteners for a lot of stuff ( Imperial / BA / Metric ) - price is good and delivery is great .
There is a lot of choices out there if you look at the above web sites or companies and then one thing leads to another and you have what your after .
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

that sure looks like a Coles Worthington pump....at least the photos.

The second picture is a scaled down drawing of a full-size pump and has little to do with what you actually need to repair the model - other than a general understanding of what you have and how it should function.

The Coles' Worthington pump drawings i have do not call for any fasteners that small...all the fasteners are on the order of #4 and #5 (.113 and .125 diameter respectively).

However -> If you really do require small metric hex head bolts, you are probably going to have to go to Germany

lots of sizes here from which to choose.

https://knupfer.info/shop/index.php/deu ... -kopf.html
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Fender

Post by Fender »

I’ll focus on your questions #3 and #4. Steam pumps such as these add interest to the operation of a locomotive and (by contrast with an axle or crosshead pump) allow water to be put into the boiler while the loco is stopped. But, they tend to be a steam hog, and are not typically used as the primary feedwater source. And, reliability is important for a feed water source, especially on a loco such as this, which has a small water capacity in the boiler.
My suggestion is to put a small injector (such as the “small scales” injector from eccentricengineer.com). Then, you will have a reliable source while you tinker with the pump. But, be sure to use a strainer on the water line from the tender.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN