Help identify a part M-21 Mogul

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Mr_Blonde

Re: Help identify a part M-21 Mogul

Post by Mr_Blonde »

MsChrissi wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:32 am Mr_Blonde,
Thanks for the information! Do you have any sharable diagrams (without violating someone's copyright) of the tenders?
I don't think I would be able to share the diagrams. The book and drawing are both available for purchase. If you are on the fence, I would buy the Diagram of Tenders for SP. It's $55 and has hundreds of outlines of the various tenders up to 1950 with quite a few dimensions. Currently it is sold out, and if they are not doing reprints of it, my position may change on that. If you are set on a particular size, reach out to Arnold Menke waspman@cableone.net and he may have a larger drawing; he did contribute to the aforementioned book. That was only about $15, very reasonable if you ask me.

A 70 class tender comes out to be around 3 feet in 1.5" scale, which is similar to an Allen Models tender for a mogul/tenwheeler, I think. The trick with these tenders is the fuel bunker is the only flat place to sit. Unless you overhang a seat or straddle the pipe some way, it does put you very close to the cab. The downside I see of a larger tender is transportation may be an issue, since it will be closer to 5'.

In the end, pick the tender you like and think fits with the locomotive, you will find work arounds if it is the design you like.
MsChrissi

Post by MsChrissi »

Thanks for the input. It occurred to me last night that no matter how big the 70/90/100-C-2 tender was it would not be a comfortable ride, the boxy section up front is too close to the engine and sitting behind that would be unworkable. I'd be better off violating cannon and going with coal fired and the appropriate coal tender, the rivet counters will be up in arms.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Chris Brew's SP-style tender has a seat mounted on the round tank, giving the engineer perfect positioning.
It can be done.
RussN
Attachments
TM 7-18 #5 sml.jpg
MsChrissi

Post by MsChrissi »

Russ, ack you took away my excuse for not doing the SP tender =D
MsChrissi

Post by MsChrissi »

Russ, ack you took away my excuse for not doing the SP tender =D
Okay, what is the drive system on the rear truck of the tender?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

MsChrissi wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:44 am Russ, ack you took away my excuse for not doing the SP tender =D
Okay, what is the drive system on the rear truck of the tender?
Chris Brew designed and built a booster truck for his tender.
I don't know if he has used it, but it's pretty cool!

No excuses: Build that correct tender. You'll be glad you did.
RussN
MsChrissi

Post by MsChrissi »

A tender dilemma; it appears each has a slightly different tender ...
?
may be same type as 1838?
a 70-C-2?
a 70/90-C-2?
a 90/100-C-2?
HO Brass model
a 70-C-2?
Attachments
1838sp-2-6-0-m-21.jpg
1839sp-2-6-0-m-21.jpg
1840sp-2-6-0-m-21.jpg
1841sp-2-6-0-m-21.jpg
1843sp-2-6-0-m-21.jpg
Key-HO-Brass-M-21-Class-2-6-0-Mogul-Locomotive.jpg
MsChrissi

Post by MsChrissi »

Hard to determine at what point in their lifetime these pictures were taken, maybe original issue was with 70/90/100-C-2 type tenders and later the other type?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

And there is photographic proof that we can build almost any configuration of locomotive and find prototype evidence to back up our decision.
So: What do YOU want? Build it.
RussN
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Doesn't surprise me at all, as I wrote earlier SP swapped tenders all the time. Look at it as an opportunity to build the tender of your choice. But here's another question from those pics - where'd the BL heater go on 1838? I suspect that photo is in a dead/scrap line and the heater has been scavanged for use somewhere else, but you could use it as justification for building an M-21 without one!
John Brock
MsChrissi

Post by MsChrissi »

Russ, yup, any configuration but coal powered =)... the one I wanted. But considering people go from coal to propane...meh? Seriously though it would have been nice to stick with some degree of authenticity.

John, yes, I noticed 1838 was missing the heater and came to the same conclusion that it had been salvaged, also my conclusion for the musical chairs with tenders was that maybe some were pictures in the scrap yard and things were hooked up to facilitate movement?
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

The 1843 features the anticlimber sheet metal addition to the center of the pilot which indicates sometime after April of 1937.

The photo of the missing feedwater pump does not have the anticlimber and still has the smaller Southern Pacific Lines lettering on the tender. During the late depression years, many locomotives were stored in various conditions including missing a few parts to keep the more efficient locomotives in operation. When the war traffic increases hit hard, heroic repairs were made to locomotives that would keep them running a few more years.