TM 2021 Prep

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Harlock

Re: TM 2021 Prep

Post by Harlock »

jcbrock wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:53 pm Two words: comfy seats.
I will second that. Normally I have a thing against boat seats for aesthetic reasons, but I am relenting for the next triennial, designing the implementation in a way where they will not be so obtrusive.

-M
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Gra2472

Post by Gra2472 »

Thank you everyone for the awesome reply's. I still have lots of work to do to get ready for TM, and I am glad to get some insight from the veterans. I know that the triennial is well over a year away, but as I have learned. Time fly's! I really appreciate the help. I am hoping that I will get things together this summer, and maybe take trip up to TM in the fall to get some track time and experience with the railroad before the Triennial.

I have been looking at the maps, and watching videos (ok ok, I'm foaming here and there :) ) I have seen the water spots indicated on the maps, but of course I am not sure of the grades and distances between them. I figured that I might have to take water fairly often and thought about the water car so that I would be stopping all the time and possibly causing a traffic jam or something. Again, I've never seen the place so I don't know if trains are running nose to tail or if there is some space between them. Perhaps I am simply overthinking it.

Its good to know that propane is available at the track. I can see how a propane attendant could be hard to find, and having spare tanks would be a good idea. I will have to put some thought into this. Maybe another car with spare tanks? That could be a fun project.

I had not considered changing the motors on the electrics. I did know that they have surplus windshield wiper motors, but I didn't know that they were terribly inefficient. Can you recall the motor that you used? Was it a direct replacement or do I need to modify the traction motor housings? And about the motor controller, I had looked at that. I have been considering using an RMI system, basically because it is plug and play. But I would like to set the locomotives up for RC too. Can you give me a few more details about how you set up the locomotive with the SyRen 50?
That's a nice tank engine too. Cool shot at the end of track!

RussN, that is one handsome 2-8-2. Thanks for the info. I am surprised that your ten-wheeler runs that far on one tank. Of course, my locomotive is not nearly as efficient at the moment. With both tanks I can carry 13.5 gallons. I figured that I would fire up on a bbq tank, saving my big tanks for the road. I am hoping to get the kind of range you are. We will see after I get it timed correctly and the baffles/arch in the firebox.

IF you guys don't mind another question. I did sign up as a member, but I have been wondering about the "rules of the road" if you will. I read the rules, distances between trains, signals, etc. But what about the common knowledge or unspoken rules? Are there prohibitions against pulling train mountain cars for example? Is security a problem? I figure that I will need a boxcar to carry all of my supplies so that nothing wonders off.
7.5" Allen Mogul
3 x 7.5" West Valley Baldwin Westinghouse Electrics
The railroad is almost done.
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

You'll be amazed at how that place can suck up trains. That said, if someone breaks down there can be a bit of a delay while it gets cleared, for example if a 2-6-6-2 2.5" scale Uintah articulated derails at the main entrance crossing. There are plenty of sidings though to drag stuff to, and water stops can be made without fouling the main by pulling into a siding. There can be a line waiting for water though, I've seen that at the water tank between Midway Circle and the Serpentine uphill. A good time to run to avoid the crowd is the early evening.

If no one is manning the fuel depot go to the meet info counter and they'll radio somebody to get over there. It's one of the volunteer spots that requires a bit of training so sometimes is not fully staffed. Reserve some time during the week to volunteer somewhere, my recollection is they are 2 hour shifts and the TM regulars really appreciate the help.

Not too many unwritten rules. Pretty laid back all things considered. I've never experienced a problem with something wandering off, and never heard of anyone else with that issue too. It's not to say it can't happen, but I've not heard of it.
John Brock
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Thinking about it, one unwritten rule is to have your act together unloading and loading, especially loading, as that's a bottleneck and at the end of the week people are impatient and want to get on the road.
John Brock
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Gra2472:
I recommend you visit Train Mt. before the Triennial. Learning about that facility is best done when it is not so incredibly crowded!
I chose to not attend the last Triennial because of the congestion. I probably won't bring my train to the next one, either. Just go to volunteer and schmooze.
I live a 5-hour drive away from TM.

I plan on being at TM for the Narrow Gauge Meet, May 29 - 31. Standard gauge trains are always welcome.
I will be learning how my Mikado likes to be operated and be cared for. I might even have the cab on and details done by then...
Where are you located? Consider posting that info in your profile on this Board.

Fuel range of my Ten Wheeler greatly increased with the installation of an arch in the firebox. That discussion is posted in a different thread here.
Consider that for your Mogul.

TM water stops are well placed to meet the needs of most steamers. Not to worry. The 2(?) mile-long grade to the North Top (2%+) can easily be done (with my Ten Wheeler) on one tender full of water. I can get up and down without a refill. Hooking up the valves makes that possible. Other engines' performance will vary. That may be the most extreme running section at TM. It separates the skilled from the less skilled engineers.

Train Mt. operating rules specify how close trains can follow one another. And a brakeman crew member is required to flag to the rear when you atop. The railroad is too big for solo operations of trains. The mile posts make train spacing easy to determine safely.

I know of no issues hauling others' cars with your train, other than proper safety chains between cars. A run-away car might not stop for several miles!
I often borrow a TM 2-seat flat car to haul interested visitors, if available. They do lack brakes though, so that limits what I can safely control down grades. Down grades are truly the limiting issues at TM. It's much easier to go up than to control heavy trains down grades. Real railroading.

I have never had security problems at TM. Others' experience may vary.
TM's main gate is closed at night, and requires a code to open. You receive that code as part of your meet attendance.
I leave my trains and tools in the steaming bays overnight and the entire time I'm there, and have never had anything "borrowed."
Hope that answers more of your questions
RussN
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

jcbrock wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:26 pm Thinking about it, one unwritten rule is to have your act together unloading and loading, especially loading, as that's a bottleneck and at the end of the week people are impatient and want to get on the road.
yes, or wait until dark or wait for the dog and pony show to be over with.
Last edited by Harold_V on Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove unacceptable comment
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Gra2472

Post by Gra2472 »

Good stuff guys! Thanks! I figured that if I can get the mogul tightened up this year with some help, I might get a chance to run for the fall meet at TM and do my "qualification trip" as we call it on the real railroad. I hadn't considered the loading area as a choke point. Good to know. I figured that my wife and I will volunteer somewhere while we are there. Besides, as you guys pointed out, I can't run without a full crew! I don't want to push the locomotive too hard for too long of course. But I hope to find an opportunity to open it up wide for a for bit. It has great stack talk when working hard.

I am in Monte Rio, on the Russian River, about 30 minutes west of Santa Rosa Ca. I'll see if I can figure out how to add that to my profile.

Thanks a bunch guys. I hope to meet you guys someday at the track.
7.5" Allen Mogul
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

I was volunteering at loading on Friday and we had a guy taking forever, 4 or so hours to load a 6x12 trailer. We were joking about it and somebody pulled up, I think he was from Mid-South, had an Allen steamer and a couple cars who said 'time me'. I recall he loaded in a little under 8 minutes. You don't have to do that, be safe but have a system worked out that minimizes your time backed up to the lifts. Friday is popular for people not doing the parade and then Saturday after the parade is another crunch time.
John Brock
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Have seen fellows like that at our local clubs and cringe when they come in and tie up facilities forever..

I cannot do it in 8 but 15 minutes is about average if I am by myself...maybe 20 with help! :shock:

Then there are the fellows who cannot do it by themselves and always want help 'with the heavy stuff....' :P
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Gra2472

Post by Gra2472 »

I have all of my locomotives in a 5x10 flat bed trailer with uni-strut rails. I use uni-strut t-nuts with eye bolts and straps to tie down. It takes nothing to get the equipment in, but tying down takes time. It's getting better, but I need to streamline it a little more. I carry the cars in the truck, packed around the 5th wheel hitch.

I have a 36' 5th wheel I would like to bring to TM, but my understanding is that its all dry camping at the track. No hookups I've heard. It doesn't matter anyways, unless I have someone in the caravan to pull the trains. I can't do both unless I get a bigger truck and a doubles endorsement on my class a. Not happening, so I think a hotel is the right answer. It'll keep the missus happy too.
7.5" Allen Mogul
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

There is nothing worse at ANY track than to have some piddling slow-poke hogging up the facilities for an hour or two while he loads his one locomotive and 5 or 6 cars. Do everyone a favor including yourself: Get all your stuff in position nearby, get your vehicle into position, roll your equipment onto your truck/trailer, put ONE clamp or tie down on each piece just to keep it from rolling away or moving around too much, then pull away from the loading facilities. Once you are out of the way, you can then spend the next hour and a half putting 40 ratchet straps on from every imaginable angle, clamping down, double-bolting, and then jouncing the trailer to make sure that nothing moves. That sort of stuff should all be done without being at the loading ramp and blocking everyone else. If it takes you more than 30 minutes at the loading ramp, then you should re-think your loading routine.
Gra2472

Post by Gra2472 »

No question! I try to be quick about it.
7.5" Allen Mogul
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.