Appropriate tip for Ball oilers?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

johnpenn74

Appropriate tip for Ball oilers?

Post by johnpenn74 »

Does anyone know if there is a specific type of oil can tip that should be used when putting oil in to a Ball Oiler?

I recently picked up an engine that is riddled with Ball Oilers. I have them all over my lathe and have never had good luck getting oil into them. Seems like oil goes nowhere (fluid lock on oil can) or remains on the surface and get on everything. I really hate these things, but expect there is a correct way to use them.

JP
Attachments
ball oilers.png
John Pennington

Logging meets that actually move logs

Project
2 Mich-Cal Shays
Allen 4-4-0 Narrow Gauge Conversion
Two Reading A5a Camelback 0-4-0
USRA 0-6-0
Clishay
4 Western Wheeled Scraper NG Dump Cars
N&W 4-8-2
ICM 2-10-2
4 Modern Stake Cars
L&N Caboose
4 Big Four Conversion Gondolas

Like I'm actually gonna build all this stuff :-P
Pontiacguy1

Re: Appropriate tip for Ball oilers?

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I believe that what you have may be an Alemite fitting, or at least that's what we used to call them. Probably not the correct name, as Alemite is a brand. It is made to squirt oil or grease into using a special fitting that fits snug into the cup shaped head, and allow you to pump some grease or oil past the ball. Used in a lot of places to keep debris out of the oil cup or passage. Link to an adapter:
https://www.mscdirect.com/webapp/wcs/st ... s/03245073
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

I use a pump oil can with a rigid spout and a radius on the tip. I get a little dribble but not much. I've used a oil can with more of a chamfer and it was harder to get seated on the oiler.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

pat1027 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:02 pm I use a pump oil can with a rigid spout and a radius on the tip. I get a little dribble but not much. I've used a oil can with more of a chamfer and it was harder to get seated on the oiler.
Same here. The tips on the spouts that work best seem to nearly fit into the hole. I suppose an optimum design would have some sort of a nubbin poking out a bit to push the ball back but that doesn't seem to be necessary.

I've read that some machines use Zerk fittings for oiling. Problem with that is, sooner or later somebody will grease them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Works for me:

IMG_9419.JPG
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

My Sag 12 Graziano came equipped with a pump oiler, with that kind of oiler used exclusively on the machine. Simple tool, and simple to use.

H
Attachments
Oiler 1.JPG
Oiler 2.JPG
Oiler 3.JPG
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

My lathe came with a similar pump, although it's design causes it to leak out if left laying on it's side, making it more trouble (and mess) than it's worth.
For pump oilers, no "nubbins" are needed . . . the hydraulic pressure of the oil will displace the ball, but occasionally quite a bit of pressure is needed to get oil into the closely fitted mechanisms beyond the fitting.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

My pump tends to leak, too, so I keep it erect, on the headstock of my lathe, in a small steel can. That has served me pretty nicely for almost 53 years. Time sure flies when you're having fun! I keep wondering where all the time has gone.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Harold_V wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:35 am My pump tends to leak, too, so I keep it erect, on the headstock of my lathe, in a small steel can. That has served me pretty nicely for almost 53 years. Time sure flies when you're having fun! I keep wondering where all the time has gone.

H
Life is like a roll of toilet paper. It goes faster toward the end.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I jam a piece of rubber tubing on the end of my oil can spout and hold it on top of the cleaned off fitting. 1/8 I'd tygon with a thick wall works well for my machinery and let's me see what is happening
Too many things going on to bother listing them.