Machining Cylinders - How to Do?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

RONALD

Re: Machining Cylinders - How to Do?

Post by RONALD »

Back in the 70's I bored a Little Engines cylinder casting on our Bridgeport using a Bridgeport boring head.

No DRO's in those days, had to carfully count each dial revolution; things are much easier today!
0-6-0.jpg
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

What!!?? Someone built a locomotive without a DRO?
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

Yep...lol....ive buult all my locomotives on.a mill and lathe with no d.r.o......it can be done...lol
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

gwrdriver wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:13 pm What!!?? Someone built a locomotive without a DRO?
LOL I do not currently have a DRO on my mill.
-Frank K.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

No D.R.O. anywhere in my shop! (Dial indicators though!!) My steam loco has been on the rails for over two years now.
David
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I similarly machined my Mikado cylinder assembly on a Bridgeport mill. Same set up as shown by RONALD.
There were three castings to machine and join first, before doing the 4 bores.
I did use the DRO on the mill. All worked well. All 4 bores are nicely parallel.
RussN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

hoppercar wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:25 pm Yep...lol....ive buult all my locomotives on.a mill and lathe with no d.r.o......it can be done...lol
Are you sure? :D

I've commented time and again. I started in the (commercial) shop back in '57, when there was no such luxury. We learned to use and trust screws. Strangely, we managed. Even turned out some good work. :-)

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Fender

Post by Fender »

Lathes in the early 19th century didn’t even have DIALS, and locomotives were nonetheless built!
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

Yep, me too....ive been a toolmaker for 40 years...cut my teeth on manuel with no d.r.o......im just now getting into cnc....sure is a different world, for this old dog to learn new tricks...lol
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

hoppercar wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:55 am Yep, me too....ive been a toolmaker for 40 years...cut my teeth on manuel with no d.r.o......im just now getting into cnc....sure is a different world, for this old dog to learn new tricks...lol
Yep! Same for me, although with a slightly different background. Lots of production in my history, along with toolmaking.

That said, a few years back I offered to store a Haas TM-1. My wife suggested I purchase the machine, which I did. It has been very handy to have, offering the ability to engrave, and to do repetitive operations with ease. It's a joy to own, but it has demanded a different approach to machining for me. I resisted the move to CNC when I operated my shop for gain, as I didn't want to lose the keen edge that comes from doing things the hard way. I've never regretted that decision, in spite of appreciating the added ability that is offered by CNC.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.