3/4" scale rolling stock and trucks

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

NateHeffner

3/4" scale rolling stock and trucks

Post by NateHeffner »

Just wondering, who all here has built or owns any 3/4" rolling stock or knows of available trucks other than those offered from Tanski or Yankee shop/ friends?? the search male it near impossible to find anything as it does not recognise 3/4" as a keyword.
FKreider

Re: 3/4" scale rolling stock and trucks

Post by FKreider »

-Frank K.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
From a while back.
Jack
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=84354&hilit=3%2F4+s ... bar+trucks
steamingdon

Post by steamingdon »

Jim Abrams is the way to go, and it won`t break the bank. :D :D
steamer
H&NERY

Post by H&NERY »

I have some of the Fair Weather Foundry Trucks, they are great, come ready to run, and very affordable. They are roller bearing equipped. Great guy to deal with. His couplers and coupler pockets are very nice also. I ride on the flatcar, and I weigh about 220, it rolls like a rocket.
Attachments
IMG_6209.JPG
IMG_6211.JPG
IMG_6214 (3).JPG
20180923_174932.jpg
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

NateHeffner wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:10 pm Just wondering, who all here has built or owns any 3/4" rolling stock or knows of available trucks other than those offered from Tanski or Yankee shop/ friends?? the search male it near impossible to find anything as it does not recognise 3/4" as a keyword.
Is there anything in particular you are looking for?
NateHeffner

Post by NateHeffner »

What i am really looking for is any sort of kit on the affordable side of things that offers machined wheelsets, i am planning on builing a fleet of freight cars and one or two wood passenger coaches (which i am producing truck kits for sans wheelsets)
PRR G5s

Post by PRR G5s »

I've done a variety of things.

1. I've fabricated my own. Turned out okay, but not too detailed and you can tell they were fabricated.
2. Had someone cast Bettendorf truck sides in aluminum. I lost the pattern for those, and the guy who made the pattern passed away.
3. I've purchased the trucks from Friends Models. They are really nice, and highly recommend them.
4. And I've drawn them in 3D, and had Shapeways print them in stainless steel. They aren't cheap, and I've only done this for trucks that aren't available. The first picture is a Vulcan T-Section, second Bettendorf T-Section, third - National, and the last one is the PRR's cabin car truck.
Attachments
Vulcan.jpg
Bettendorf.jpg
National.jpg
PRR.jpg
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Shapeways is far too expensive if the goal is to make a "fleet" of cars, even if you are getting plastic 3D prints from them, they are still pricey.

IF the goal is to make decorative freight cars, meaning they will not have passengers on them one option would be to purchase a $200-300 3D printer and make your trucks out of plastic. You could design them to have small roller bearings press (or glued) in and they could take a standard size size round bar stock axle. Of course you would still need a way to machine up a bunch of wheels but if there is a will there is a way...
IMG_2585.jpg
IMG_2586.jpg
Could also build a cheap DIY furnace/foundry and make a bunch of trucks out of aluminum. There are tons of YouTube videos on making these small DIY furnaces out of mostly materials from Home Depot.
-Frank K.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

FKreider wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:42 pm Of course you would still need a way to machine up a bunch of wheels but if there is a will there is a way...

I recall someone experimenting with plastic trucks and wheels for non-load bearing service in 3/4"... I think it may have been on Chaski.

With the shutdown coming, I think this is a great time for Nate to improve his skills on 3D modeling and design for manufacturability.

Nate, if you need a helping hand, let me know. I have Fusion360 and can collaborate over that platform, in conjunction with chatting on Facebook.

Mike
Slipped Eccentric

Post by Slipped Eccentric »

What price range are you looking at?