ASR - Reading T-1 No.2100 Update - Buy A Staybolt

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Rob Gardner

ASR - Reading T-1 No.2100 Update - Buy A Staybolt

Post by Rob Gardner »

Wanted to give all of you a quick update on where we're at with the work on Reading No. 2100. We are currently running a fundraising campaign to raise the funds needed to make the 560 new flexible and rigid staybolts needed in the firebox. We are at about 72% on the fundraising drive. We have 154 staybolts left to go at a mere $10.00 each for the forging and machining expense. The material has already been purchased last year thanks to one very generous single donor.

The work is being done at Bleil Machine Co in Mentor, OH. That name may be familiar to many of you as this is the business of Chan Bleil, one of the founding members of the Lake Shore Live Steamers. He has the upsetter, the tooling and the electric induction furnace needed to preheat the steel before forging the head. He has made staybolts for Age of Steam's LS&I No.33 and M&NF No.12 as well as the superheater header bolts for WMSR ex-C&O 2-6-6-2 No. 1309.

So, we are asking for your continued support to help us meet this goal that will allow us to get to work on this next phase of finishing the firebox and getting us one more step closer to making steam.

Here is the link to our online store where you can sponsor any number of staybolts. Thanks for watching and following our progress!
https://www.fireup2100.org/product/forge-a-staybolt/

Sincerely,

Rob Gardner
ASR VP and 2100 Project Manager
Attachments
Chan Forging.jpg
Finished staybolts.jpg
Benjamin Maggi

Re: ASR - Reading T-1 No.2100 Update - Buy A Staybolt

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Is this the same T-1 which was converted by the D&H in 1973 for their special train?
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

C'mon guys I bought 10! OK, maybe it didn't hurt that Chan's shop was my first job! Fond, fond memories...
BAdams

Post by BAdams »

I'm in, made a purchase.
Brook
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

I made a purchase.

Jim B
Rob Gardner

Re: ASR - Reading T-1 No.2100 Update - Buy A Staybolt - ONLY 50 TO GO!!!!

Post by Rob Gardner »

Thank you all! Your generosity is much appreciated. Saw Chan yesterday as I had to get a start on two (2) new crankpins for my 1" 4-8-4 and needed badly to get out of the house, lol. He asked how we were making out. We are now only 50 staybolts away from being ready to start forging and machining! Who else would like to sponsor 10 or 20? We are SOOOO close!

Thanks again,

Rob Gardner
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

All,

We are a mere 25 staybolts or $250.00 away from being fully funded! Don't miss your chance to be a part of making history. BTW, you can now get your very own serialized old staybolt from the 2100 as your own paperweight or gift for that special steam friend AND you'll sponsor 3 new staybolts in the process all for only $39.00.

https://www.fireup2100.org/product/staybolt/

Rob Gardner