Displacement lubricator questions

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

NP317

Re: Displacement lubricator questions

Post by NP317 »

Very Nice.
And you now know why borosilicate (pressure water level glass) tubes should be replaced every 5 years or so, as preventative maintenance.
They can get micro-cracks as they age.
RussN
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

The prototype loco I’m modeling is a 4-6-0 slide valve engine. There are what appear to be inline check valves just above the valve chests. The lube lube runs from there, up under the jacket, and I assume back to the cab and lubricator.

Surely a hydrostatic or displacement lubricator.

How does that work with a check valve in line?

Trying to understand the early comment.

Tks,
Brian
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Check valve keeps steam from running back to the lubricator.

Is standard practice...and besy if lightly spring loaded with oring seat
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

makinsmoke wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:19 am The prototype loco I’m modeling is a 4-6-0 slide valve engine. There are what appear to be inline check valves just above the valve chests. The lube lube runs from there, up under the jacket, and I assume back to the cab and lubricator. Surely a hydrostatic or displacement lubricator. - Brian
Brian,
If it was my assumption to make, I would say it would have been a mechanical lubricator of some kind. As someone has mentioned already, an elementary hydro/displ lubricator won't operate against a check valve. Mechanical lubricators usually have a check valve located somewhere in their system, either at or as a part of the pump unit, or remotely located, as in your case at the steam chest. It would be unusual to have a mechanical lubricator in or near the cab as they require connection to the motion in some way. I would look for the other end of your oil lines to appear somewhere near the valve gear/inboard motion.

Another thing that should be mentioned is that when a single lubricator is used to supply two cylinders, through a Tee or Wye in the feed line, the oil/steam emulsion always seems to favor one cylinder or the other, feeding one and starving the other. It happens every time, one of them will start squeaking. Hence common practice is to use two single feed lubricators, or a multiple feed lubricator, and connect to the steam chests through dedicated oil lines.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Chris Hollands

Post by Chris Hollands »

I must admit I really like the pressurized gauge glass idea you can see exactly what is going on .

Regards milwiron's question it will be another 2 years before i know if it works ok - Im sure it will .
milwiron

Post by milwiron »

Chris Hollands wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:13 pm ...Regards milwiron's question it will be another 2 years before i know if it works ok - Im sure it will .
Very clever design especially the needle valves built in to the end caps.
Denny
"Measure twice, curse once."