gasket material

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

jeffsmith

Re: gasket material

Post by jeffsmith »

Not having any problems, I was just thinking out loud. I'll admit I've used the oil soaked paper bag with success also. So many different ways to do something it's nice to hear what works for others.
Thanks for all of your suggestions.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I have used the blue gasket material that is used for automotive water pumps and other such stuff. It can be had in a couple of thicknesses, the most common being about 0.030" thickness, and I think you can get it in 0.020" as well. It works great and I've never had any problems with it. Not very expensive and can be purchased in a roll at Napa or other auto parts stores.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Scott,
I need something for a saddle . . does it handle smokebox heat?
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

RET wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:22 am I have also found that if you take the time to make sure the mating surfaces are truly flat and smooth, a metal to metal seal works just fine. No gasket or sealant of any kind is needed. The easy way to do this is to put a sheet of abrasive paper (paper not cloth, cloth is too thick) about 400 grit or finer on a surface plate (glass is also OK) and slide the part around on the paper with an even but not heavy pressure. Keep turning the part and apply the pressure as far down on the part as possible to avoid tipping.

Its a simple process and really doesn't take very long. As the process continues, you can see all the tool marks on the surface of the part gradually disappear and the surface will become smooth and shiny. When both parts have been treated, they can be assembled and disassembled as many times as you like without any leaks.

I also use the clear Silicone Seal to seal mating surfaces. It is easy to apply, stands up to smokebox temperatures, is easy to remove and lasts for years.

Just my experience.

Richard Trounce.
I use 600-800 grit for this procedure. When you get it right parts like cylinder heads will actually float around on a granite surface plate it's pretty cool to feel.
optigman

Post by optigman »

We too use soft copper gaskets on certain flange types of high vacuum. Vacuum only has to seal up to atmosphere which is 15psi / 760tor. That being said soft copper works exceptionally for steam sealing although the seal surfaces should be narrow if possible like plumbing seats against the bib washer. Wide faces take more torque to assure a good seal. The green gasket material from McMaster is also very good sealing steam.
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

I have used permatex #2 on.everything for years and years....never any leaks around cylinder heads...makes the perfect hi temp seal on smokebox saddle. Actually, I think.permatex is made by loctite now?....so.throw out your gasket cutting scissors...permatex#2 is the only way to.go
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

Oops, I.forgot to mention...the permatex has one drawback that I found....you need to.allow it to.dry. ive built quite a few of the little engines single cylinder steam water pumps, and I have had happen....more than once...if you move the piston in the cylinder, the suction will pull the permatex into the porting passages, into the cylinders, and plug up.the check balls....quite the oogie mess......so it does make quite a good gasket, but you need to let it dry.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I also used permatex to seal the smokebox-to-saddle interface.
Works fine. Still.
RussN
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

GWRDriver: I don't use a gasket on a saddle, I use gasket maker. I Use the 1B hardening type of gasket maker from Permatex. It will handle the heat. I've used it several times. I also use this same gasket maker to wipe on the threads of the 1/8-27 NTP stays when I thread them in permanently. Paul Brien told me that it was the best stuff to use on those stay threads, and almost anything else was going to leak. I've never had one of those stays leak, and I've never had a smokebox to saddle joint leak using that stuff either.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Thanks. Yes, I've always used the Permatex on threaded stays.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN