Water Gauge Problem

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

acbailey

Water Gauge Problem

Post by acbailey »

A friend and I have a new 1 1/2" scale steam engine and have had only one good run since it was completed. The last time we tried to run the engine we discovered after we had put water in the boiler (the glass showed the boiler half full), a good fire and the pressure was at 100 psi the water gauge did not show any water above the bottom of the glass. We tried to put more water into the boiler using a hand pump. Not being successful after much pumping we dumped the fire. After a while we opened the blow down valve. After the water stopped for some reason I opened the bottom connection from the gauge to the boiler. Water began to came out the the boiler from both the blow down as well as the open connection. The water gauge had water bubbling up much like a lava lamp (if you are old enough to remember them). Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?
jkimberln

Re: Water Gauge Problem

Post by jkimberln »

New boilers frequently have foaming problems. I would say to wash out the boiler and try again. I would add some TSP to the boiler while filling and let it sit for a day or so, then flush it out with running water for a couple hours. Of course, it could be some other problem but try the simple things first.
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Bigger question is did the foaming action make itself known during the first operation of the boiler? If the boiler was fine during the first operation and then exhibiting foaming during the second operation, the foaming problem could be from excessive lubrication on the pistons of the axle pump or even the piston of a hand pump. Overzealous lubrication of these pumps can easily end up forcing not only water into the boiler but small amounts of oil into the boiler which can be the cause of the foaming that was observed.

Clean the boiler, clean the axle pump piston and hand pump piston, then see how the third operation of the boiler plays out making sure to not oil the pump pistons.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

is the glass setup for proper blow down?
also make sure then glass assembly has not developed a leak.

side note, I have seen a glass read wrong with a very hot fire or if the fire box door is open allowing a lot of heat to interact with the glass.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Fender

Post by Fender »

acbailey wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:46 am After a while we opened the blow down valve. After the water stopped for some reason I opened the bottom connection from the gauge to the boiler. Water began to came out the the boiler from both the blow down as well as the open connection. The water gauge had water bubbling up much like a lava lamp (if you are old enough to remember them). Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?
Can you clarify this statement? was the valve to the BOILER at the bottom of the water glass closed when you were firing up? Or, was the BLOWDOWN valve at the bottom of the glass closed? Also, was the valve to the boiler at the top of the water glass open?
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

is the top pipe of the water glass connected to anything except the top of the boiler...as in is the top pipe connected to THE TURRET???

normally I would expect this to show 'high water'...but while we are in pursuit of undomesticated birds....never hurts to ask.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Bill Shields wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:05 pm is the top pipe of the water glass connected to anything except the top of the boiler...as in is the top pipe connected to THE TURRET???

normally I would expect this to show 'high water'...but while we are in pursuit of undomesticated birds....never hurts to ask.
it also does not hurt to ask if anything is connected to the bottom pipe, ( i have see a power reverse connected to draw water)
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
acbailey

Post by acbailey »

Here are photos of the water glass upper and lower connections to the boiler.
Attachments
bottom connection
bottom connection
top connection
top connection
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Water Glass and Column.pdf
(47.18 KiB) Downloaded 445 times
Your bottom connection is way too low. It should be within about 1/2" above or below the crown sheet. The top connection should be within 1" of the top centerline of the boiler.
tsph6500

Post by tsph6500 »

Marty_Knox wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:51 pm Your bottom connection is way too low. It should be within about 1/2" above or below the crown sheet. The top connection should be within 1" of the top centerline of the boiler.
Hi Marty,

I am having a similar issue with a gauge on a 3/4" "historic" job dating back to 1937. The lower connection is very low on a copper boiler so moving it is not possible. Would a water column help me get a steadier reading?
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

tsph6500 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:00 am
Marty_Knox wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:51 pm Your bottom connection is way too low. It should be within about 1/2" above or below the crown sheet. The top connection should be within 1" of the top centerline of the boiler.
Hi Marty,

I am having a similar issue with a gauge on a 3/4" "historic" job dating back to 1937. The lower connection is very low on a copper boiler so moving it is not possible. Would a water column help me get a steadier reading?
It sure will! Bill Morewood used one on his Raritan, if you need an example.
kcameron

Post by kcameron »

What is the impact or symptoms of having a 'too low' connection for the bottom of the sight glass, presuming the glass itself is at the right height?
-ken cameron
Syracuse Model Railroad Club http://www.SyracuseModelRr.org/
CNY Modelers http://www.cnymod.com/
Finger Lakes Live Steamers http://www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org/
Member JMRI Developer Team http://www.jmri.org/
mailto: kcameron@twcny.rr.com
In the Upstate New York US area of the world