Plates

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

hoppercar

Plates

Post by hoppercar »

Is dustin still making builders plates ?...I dont see him anymore in.the latest live steam magazine ?
daves1459

Re: Plates

Post by daves1459 »

I was in touch with Robert Dustin last Fall. He said he did not actually make the plates. He did the art work and when the quantity of plate orders for several customers was large enough to meet the photo etch shop's minimum quantity he would forward the orders. Robert said in normal times that usually took 30 to 60 days. However, Robert added, 3D printing has completely killed his business. In the past three years he had not had enough orders to meet the etching companies minimum. I whined that I had no other place to go. He agreed to take my order pending getting enough additional orders to send a lot to the etcher. After six months mine was his only order. So no more plates from Robert. Pity too as Robert had an excellent catalog of designs and fonts plus his plates were superb quality.

Dave
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

How many do we need to order for him to make the mininum?
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

If you can't make it work with Dustin and you can get the artwork done either yourself or by someone skilled with that, you can get plates made by any company that does engraving for letterpress printing. This is getting more rare as letterpress is for the most part obsolete, but there are still some uses for it. I had a clock face done in copper for a tall case clock I made and it came out great. I used this company: https://aandgengraving.com

I just emailed them an Illustrator outline file and they did the rest.

Be sure anyone you use knows that it should be "right reading." Just tell them what you are doing and they'll understand. Otherwise it will come back reversed as it would need to be for a printing press.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
super7b

Post by super7b »

I realise that the Atlantic is between the original poster and this supplier, but have a look at Diane Carney.

www.loco-nameplates.co.uk

Superb quality, technically perfect, historically accurate, every order is a one off, last set of 7 1/4" loco makers plates that I ordered took 26 days from order to delivery.
Of course there is the Atlantic to contend with but she does deal with the whole globe, all scales up to full size. Have a look, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I have no connection other than a satisfied customer.

L
PeterCraymer

Post by PeterCraymer »

I know most of you don't care for or like Facebook, But if you search for Black Hills Designs, he makes laser engraved plates that are freaking gorgeous! his website is kirkwelding.biz. I didn't see any info on there about the plates after a quick glance, but that is the website he has listed on FB. he has done steam builder's plates as well as superheater and diesels. Nice looking stuff.

Peter
jeffsmith

Post by jeffsmith »

I am looking for someone to photoetch some plates also. I need builders plates and superheater plate.
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Recently I discovered that there are at least 9 different superheater plate designs based on the build date of the locomotive and this was the current list from somewhere in the 1920 era. One might want to be sure of which superheater plate the prototype locomotive was equipped with before ordering.
Steve Goodbody

Post by Steve Goodbody »

Hi there,
I can wholeheartedly recommend Diane Carney for plates. For those unaware, Diane is Assistant Editor of Model Engineer magazine and I believe has recently returned to making custom plates.

I purchased my plates from Diane about ten years ago - see the photos for an original plate and Diane's version which I haven't yet fully polished.
20.jpg
Hunslet Builders Plate.jpg
Best regards
Steve
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

Thanks for the info about diane carney...I.just made contact with her via email....seen some of her work, and she is familiar.with baldwin plates....sounds like a go !!
daves1459

Post by daves1459 »

makinsmoke wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:33 pm How many do we need to order for him to make the mininum?
I don't recall the exact number. But, it was in excess off 100. Not 100 + of each. But, 100 + of all plates. As I recall, but not sure, I believe Robert said he also did commercial work.

Dave
Tim B Guenther

Post by Tim B Guenther »

There was an article in the May/June 2020 issue of Live Steam on how to etch your own plates by Chris Rueby. It doesn't look like a very difficult operation.