Grates

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

hoppercar

Grates

Post by hoppercar »

I finished my rrsc mikado a year ago, and have been.running great....im thinking this winter, I.might redesign.the grates?....I built mine to rrsc prints, the grates dont come out, but you have to push them down in.the center, to.get them to stand on.edge and dump... This is a real pain in the neck. ...its hard to.get klinkers out from around the grates, anddumped down the ash pan.....also.there ash pan sits right on.top.of the cradle, so removing the ash pan is not an option. ..was wondering if anyone else, has come up.with a better game plan ?.... Im thinking to make the grates in 4 sections...narrow enough to hook.them and bring them out the firedoor
pat1027

Re: Grates

Post by pat1027 »

Mine were fabricated in three sections to fit through the firebox door. They are 1/4 x 3/4 stainless bar bolted up with stainless threaded rod and nuts. The rods on the center section are staggered from the sides to allow them to nest together and maintain an even spacing. These are several years old.

The sides go in first and come out last. The hardest part getting them out is getting the center section up where I can grab it by hand. Usually I reach in from the rear of the ash pan and push one end up enough to get ahold of it and wiggle it loose from the ash and left over lumps.

The grates rest on stainless rods on brackets welded to the mud ring. The rods pass just under the mud ring so the grates are inside the firebox. The center section of the ash pan sets on the cradle. The two sides rest on the center section and bolt up to the same bracket that carries the grate.

hoppercar

Re: Grates

Post by hoppercar »

Thanks for the photos...thats basically the same idea I was thinking about...I think this winter, while the snow flies..I will rework the grates, similar to yours....that pushing them down in the middle, and standing them on edge like the drawings show, is a real pain....very difficult to dump and clean