What have we learned?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, cbrew

Steve Bratina

What have we learned?

Post by Steve Bratina » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:57 pm

After the post for identifying pictures, we need to get better at recording the history of stuff from the recent past and the present. Identifying people, places and engines becomes more difficult as the time from when the picture or film was taken to the time when someone asks about it. Pictures and films were taken of engines with the owner gone off for a coffee or some other reason and the only info the picture taker has is the name on the tender and the number of the engine. The picture may not give any indication of the gauge.
I am going over my stuff and recording what history I know on my engines and placing that history in a small picture frame. I will take this along with my engine and place it on the steaming bay so the picture taker can also get the history of the engine if he so desires. Most likely he will just read the blurb and not take a picture but you never know. This is the best way I can think of to keep a record of my engines and its builder other than relying on memory and recollection. It may seem like a lot of work but what other method of recording history is easier with less work but still as accurate. The 3/4" scale registry has some inaccuracies that unless changed, stand as fact.
The history of our past gets cloudier as time goes by. I knew the history of my friend Murray's engine but never wrote anything down as I could just ask him again when I needed to. That worked well until he passed away a few years back. I can recall certain bits but a lot of the stories are either forgotten or have changed due to poor recollection. These exercises in picture and people identification may bring several different answers but at least it gets the juices flowing. There are several people that I know of that are a source of live steam information but it needs to be recorded before we loose them. How do we do that? I don't know. I guess the greatest source of our past history is the Wandering Locomotive Books. Let's hope it becomes available down the road.

thunderskunk

Re: What have we learned?

Post by thunderskunk » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:38 pm

Someone had an idea where they stole the core code of Facebook and made a registry of locomotives and owners. Somewhere to dump all the pictures you could and basic info.
"We'll cross that bridge once we realize nobody ever built one."