injector problem

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

hoppercar

injector problem

Post by hoppercar »

Well, after fighting with a superscale economy injector for a year, and pulling out what little hair I had left.....I finally switched it out with an eccenetric engineer, standard injector. Fired up today, and the new injector worked the first time, and everytime. !!!!!....the superscale was beand new, never could get it to work.....I think.it was just a dud....!!
ChipsAhoy

Re: injector problem

Post by ChipsAhoy »

But..... they look good.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Hoppercar, you might have already considered these, but in my experience there are two areas of concern for the Superscale injectors:
1) the check valve (disk) must be inserted with the raised lip UP...and that disk must slide on the stem easily.
2) if you take the cone assembly out (believe that takes a 5/16" deep socket), need to make sure all the holes are clear. Since those tiny holes are drilled all the way thru...you should be able to see light thru each pair of holes. If a hole(s) are plugged, try to blow the obstruction out (can use your mouth for this). If that doesn't work, use a stiff bristle brush to carefully poke the obstruction loose. Don't use anything hard or sharp.

There's a lot of those injectors out there (not to take anything away from Eccen. Eng), but can't understand why you're having so much trouble. Even now, with the Superscale injector on the bench...can still dismantle and examine the insides. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

Yeah, ive done all that numerous times over the last year....could never get it to.work...I even put a different superscale injector in its place, and it worked great...which verified.all my plumbing.integrity......put the injector in.question back in place....and nothing.......so that was it, swapped it out with an.e.e. Injector, and it works great
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Thank goodness Anthony D. decided to share his skill and products with us.
EE products are remarkable in the fit, finish, and function.
Thank you Anthony!
RussN
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

We spoke in detail over the phone about what he was observing and everything he had tried. It was my best guess that, if everything was clean and the internals were machined correctly (which knowing Barry I'm sure they were), there was probably some micro porosity in the body itself compromising the combining area.

By the way, I currently have all 4 injector sizes in stock.

Anthony
KarlKobel

Post by KarlKobel »

Not to dissuade anyone from purchasing Anthony's injectors, we have some and they work well as stated here (Penberthy-like reliability).

The problem with the SS Injector is the check valve ring. It gets stuck.

Remove the large plug - 8mm IIRC and then remove the valve assembly.
I had to take a cheap 5mm socket and turn it down to fit.

Carefully remove the check valve assembly in case the ring is loose - mine almost never is.

I loosen it and burnish the sliding surface with a paper towel and then re-assemble.

I check them during every steamup.

Karl - www.karlkobel.com
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

From talking with Hoppercar, any potential issues with the check washer were addressed rather thoroughly. I told him what the clearance should be, and he confirmed it was right in that range. I really do believe something else was going on.
KarlKobel

Post by KarlKobel »

For me, the issue wasn't clearance, but some kind of buildup (I hesitate to call it corrosion, tin whiskers maybe?).
It may have to do with Lake Michigan water - great pH for boilers, not so good for injectors.

I had a reflex sight glass and the water etched the inside so much I couldn't see the water line.
I replaced it with a normal glass tube.

Karl