Logging Disconnects

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

ccvstmr

Logging Disconnects

Post by ccvstmr »

Will address this to all the live steam logging enthusiasts out there in Chaski-land.

Have a friend that wants to build some G gauge, Accucraft AM2214-01 logging disconnects on steroids...in 2.5" scale/7.5" gauge no less! The Accucraft model disconnects look something like this (these are really nice models)...

IMG_3968.JPG
IMG_3965.JPG
IMG_3970.JPG

Have a few questions for the Chaski neighborhood as follows:
1) does anyone know who made the real life logging disconnects?
2) which railroads ran these logging disconnects in revenue service?
3) do any of the real logging disconnects still exist? ...where are those disconnects located?
4) does anyone know if plans exist and are available for these logging disconnects?
5) any other info would be appreciated.

Thanking all in advance. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
SZuiderveen

Re: Logging Disconnects

Post by SZuiderveen »

Read this. Won’t answer all of your questions, but will get you a good way there.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/49341/4 ... 9341-h.htm

I may be able to help with 24” wheels, 3 3/4 x 7 journal boxes, lids, and link and pin couplers.

Steve
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Steve, THANX!

Whether looking for logging disconnect info or other, that's a great piece of documentation.

So it looks like the Accucraft model was based on the Seattle Car & Foundry Hercules series of disconnects.

Will forward the info and see how this project develops. Thanks again. Carl B.
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Second the thanks!

Great read.

Mountaineer
DRS_RR

Post by DRS_RR »

might be some information that can be used out of this article:

https://nelsonslocomotive.com/Small%20P ... Truck.htm

Dave
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Here are a few pics of a surviving 1885 version. At least I remember it as a circa 1885 version. I think that was the date embossed on the wheels or journal castings.

Note: this truck is largely hand crafted from timber and off the shelf steel flatbar, bolts, and channel. The only castings are the journals, wheels, and couplers. Even the draft gear is simple off the shelf material, all fabed together. Also this particular model seems to be longer and more robust than the later steel designs. Perhaps a function of the extensive use of large wood timbers for framing.

The truck is on display at the Snoqualmie, Wa, railroad museum. Snoqualmie was one of the centers for PNW logging and mill operations from around 1880 to as late as 1980 or 1990.

Iam going from memory here, but I think you will find these Skelton cars were used in large numbers, w.g. Thousands perhaps, by local logging railroads, rather than the primary transcontinental roads. So, for research purposes, your friend might search for Pacific Northwest logging railroad books for more history and useage.

Glenn
Attachments
F9D16E1F-820A-4176-A69F-33EC1A4F70AF.jpeg
5C7A21A4-469E-42C8-9305-72CF48F89CDE.jpeg
FD29EAE8-90F2-4FAB-905C-6EE3E559C7C6.jpeg
E647B96C-EE9A-48F7-81EB-A01335C11162.jpeg
77AB0388-2942-4068-BC38-F0CE53F83078.jpeg
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Glenn:
Thanks for posting those photos of the disconnect car in front of the Snoqualmie Depot.
I had a hand in the rebuilding of that car. Most of the wood required replacement.
RussN
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Russ, nice work. It’s a very impressive reconstruction. am I correct in remembering if this indeed is an 1880’s piece of equipment? It’s been a couple of years since I last visited...

Glenn

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

NP317

Post by NP317 »

Glenn:
The Northwest railway Museum lists disconnect trucks in the Collections section:
https://trainmuseum.org/index.php/large ... collection
They are dated in the early 1900s.

Rich Wilkins was the principle restorer of the disconnect truck you pictured, as he also was for several other freight cars there.
Credit where due.
RussN
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Wanted to get back to those of you that offered information and resources regarding the logging disconnects. Understand, this is an area of real railroading, let along our miniature railroading, that's not often covered.

The info you guys provided was forwarded. Production of the Seattle Car & Foundry, Hercules logging disconnect as modeled by Accucraft has begun. Consider what's being built as a G scale logging disconnect on steroids.

Here's some pix from last night as the side frame bars were drilled and deburred. There's enough bars in this run for 5 pairs of disconnects. Three of the bars are for the side frames. Believe the bars on the upper right are the side frame spreaders.

IMG_4073.JPG

Believe the idea is to use 3D printed journal boxes and cast those in polyurethane resin for the bearings.

IMG_4075.JPG

If people are interested, will try to post description and photos as progress continues. Carl B.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Carl, looking good. did you bend the all the flat bar on a jig? And use a jig to align the holes? Always curious about these things!

Glenn

NP317

Post by NP317 »

Intersted? Yes!!
Thanks for posting this.

That string of disconnects would look perfect behind my Mikado Polson Logging #90.
RussN