Is this a logging maintenance loco? I want to build one

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

LouStule

Is this a logging maintenance loco? I want to build one

Post by LouStule »

I found this old hulk in a So. Cal. amusement park. I just cries out to be modeled in a live steam reincarnation. Does anyone know what this type of loco is called? I think it was used in mine service but possibly logging also? Do you think there are any plans available anywhere to build something like this? I suppose I could "scratch" build this but with only one photo it would be tough for me. Thanks for any and all input on this proposed project.
Attachments
Mine Loco.JPG
Benjamin Maggi

Re: Is this a logging maintenance loco? I want to build one

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

You might want to look up or search for "Bill Connor Beam Engines". They didn't look exactly like that but might be good starting points.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Gra2472

Post by Gra2472 »

That is a prop from the 1978 Disney movie “Hot Lead and Cold Feet” starring Don Knotts.
7.5" Allen Mogul
3 x 7.5" West Valley Baldwin Westinghouse Electrics
The railroad is almost done.
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

I was just writing as Gra2472 posted that this one looks like it was made up. Note that the fire door faces front while the gauges face toward the beam. Not convenient for an operator. Also there is something about the beam support structure at the bottom where it sits on the deck that doesn't look right. But it would be a hoot to make one, all rough and rusty.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
LouStule

Post by LouStule »

I wonder if this "prop" was based on a real prototype? It looks like it could actually be made to run albeit with a few modifications.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Vertical boiler locomotives were popular and capable industrial locomotives in England and also in the logging industry in the United States from 1840’s onwards to around the 1880’s. The Clishay was an American version of a vertical boiler logging engine. Here is an 18” gauge model of an English Dewinton industrial Loco recently for sale in Washington state. The largest De Winton vertical boiler Loco was upwards of 250 tons. Quite a beast in its day, apparently .

Quite a few clishays have been built in 7 1/2 inch gauge. I’m sure you could find plans somewhere, maybe through this thread or put a request on the buy and sell page. Somebody is sure to reply.
Attachments
2A240380-70F0-48DF-B896-ADC371027F6B.jpeg
14573F8D-9232-4D6D-97E2-1E7576D0BF23.jpeg
C28A0B2C-62CA-4369-B00C-FF5704AFA585.jpeg
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
LouStule

Post by LouStule »

Benjamin Maggi wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:51 pm You might want to look up or search for "Bill Connor Beam Engines". They didn't look exactly like that but might be good starting points.
Here is a phot of what you may be talking about. Looks like a good start.
beam loco 1.jpg
beam loco 1.jpg (16.8 KiB) Viewed 5926 times
LouStule

Post by LouStule »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:30 pm Vertical boiler locomotives were popular and capable industrial locomotives in England and also in the logging industry in the United States from 1840’s onwards to around the 1880’s. The Clishay was an American version of a vertical boiler logging engine. Here is an 18” gauge model of an English Dewinton industrial Loco recently for sale in Washington state. The largest De Winton vertical boiler Loco was upwards of 250 tons. Quite a beast in its day, apparently .

Quite a few clishays have been built in 7 1/2 inch gauge. I’m sure you could find plans somewhere, maybe through this thread or put a request on the buy and sell page. Somebody is sure to reply.
Thanks, I'm thinking something in a smaller scale. Still live steam but not a ride on. I'm still new to this aspect of the hobby and am still learning sizes, scales etc.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Yes, the De Winton is definitely on the large size, although I figured it could be re gauged to 15”.

Photo posted by Lou, above, is likely 7 1/2” gauge, and closer to 1.8” hobby size (1/8th the size of an original prototype). If you look into building vertical boilers you’ll find several designs that are much easier and simpler to build than traditional horizontal fire tube boilers used in standard locomotives.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
LouStule

Post by LouStule »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:50 pm Yes, the De Winton is definitely on the large size, although I figured it could be re gauged to 15”.

Photo posted by Lou, above, is likely 7 1/2” gauge, and closer to 1.8” hobby size (1/8th the size of an original prototype). If you look into building vertical boilers you’ll find several designs that are much easier and simpler to build than traditional horizontal fire tube boilers used in standard locomotives.

Glenn
I already have one of the PM Research vertical boilers that I think could be adapted quite easily to a project like this. I just need to figure out what scale I would be working with? Distance between the rails etc?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

You may well be surprised how much steam you need to run a loco. A 3/4" scale Tom Thumb...3.75" RAIL spacing.. needs a vertical boiler 5" in diameter with 80 flues and 12" tall to support a pair of 1" diameter cylinders ...to pull two people.

PM research makes good products...but I have never seen one of their boilers powering a human pulling loco.

The biggest I have seen from PM is about 3" diameter with about a dozen flues...which would probably fall short on steaming generating capacity to pull people.

There are several tested and proven models available which will fit into your wish list....just be careful and plan wisely.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
LouStule

Post by LouStule »

Bill Shields wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:51 pm You may well be surprised how much steam you need to run a loco. A 3/4" scale Tom Thumb...3.75" RAIL spacing.. needs a vertical boiler 5" in diameter with 80 flues and 12" tall to support a pair of 1" diameter cylinders ...to pull two people.

PM research makes good products...but I have never seen one of their boilers powering a human pulling loco.

The biggest I have seen from PM is about 3" diameter with about a dozen flues...which would probably fall short on steaming generating capacity to pull people.

There are several tested and proven models available which will fit into your wish list....just be careful and plan wisely.
Thanks, I'm not planning a ride on. Something smaller but still live steam. Most likely R/C. I need to figure out what scale I'm talking about and find some plans. Picture something along the lines of a PM Research vertical boiler and a Stuart Turner Beam engine. Thanks.