Ever get teased for being a live steamer?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

wms6

Re: Ever get teased for being a live steamer?

Post by wms6 »

Only person to give me a hard time is a friend who's an engineer for Union Pacific lol Generally, people are really curious and ask a lot of questions.
4-6-2 Canadian Pacific finished 1973
0-8-0 Indiana Harbor Belt 102 in progress
Western Maryland Shay #6 in progress
RET

Post by RET »

Hi,

Don't worry so much about what people think. If it gives you pleasure and puts a smile on your face, GO for IT!

Seriously, back in the '50's and before, there were still steam locomotives in regular service, so people knew about them. The present generations don't have that background and many of them have never seen one working so it isn't the same.

Back in the late 50's after steam had been retired, I remember waiting at the Belleville station to catch a train back to Toronto on a quiet summer Sunday afternoon with almost no one around. I heard a steam whistle (a northern special excursion train blowing for the crossing about a mile away) and all of a sudden, cars and people started coming from everywhere! By the time the train pulled into the station, there was a small crowd which kept on getting bigger.

There are bound to be those who aren't interested, but those who "get their hands dirty" and can appreciate good workmanship will always be interested whether they know what a steam engine is or not.

Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

Richard Trounce.
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

Have I ever been teased? When I was a kid a few times. I had a Canadian Pacific lunch box I carried to school through my elementary years. It had a scene of a freight train on one side, a passenger train on the other and color art work of a train around the four sides. It was cool. Teased as an adult never.

Don't be ashamed of being involved in the hobby. Look at the things people build. The skills they work to develop just to create something. The comradery that develops among the people in the hobby. It's really something to be admired.

As for the people you describe, their purpose is to garner attention for themselves and boost their own egos. It isn't you or the live steam hobby it's about them. Be polite but do your best to ignore their jabs. If they can make you react they win.