Ever get teased for being a live steamer?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

shild

Ever get teased for being a live steamer?

Post by shild »

Got a story for you guys... Not going to mention any names here, just going to say I work at a food store very close to a steam club.... There was a day I was going to bring in an issue of "Live Steam" magazine to show to fellow workers but I forgot and kept forgetting... Before I ever remembered to bring it in, at least 3 steam clubbers came in all at once. One had a B & M t-shirt, one had a denim hat and jacket with lots of railroad patches like L & N and Rock Island, one was wearing overalls, one of them had a pickup with a 7 1/2" gauge steamer peaking out of the back. My fellow workers laughed long and hard at them all. Later on, one of them even did imitations putting a tray, coffee kettle and bin on a table as a makeshift train, he sat on the tray and went P-ffzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Toot-toot CHI-chi-chi-chi-CHI-chi-ch-chi-CHI-chi-chi-chit--------------clickety-clickety----------------- CHI-chi-chi-chi-CHI-chi-ch-chi-CHI-chi-chi-chit. Everyone was laughing!. Needless to say I NEVER brought my live steam magazines or mentioned it after that, can just imagine what would have happened if I had remembered to. :( Do you guys get teased for being live steamers?
Benjamin Maggi

Re: Ever get teased for being a live steamer?

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Nope, not at all. At least not that I know of. However, each of us has our own tendencies and I think some of my wife's hobbies are crazy. And I am sure she thinks some of mine are too. At least we agree on trains.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Fender

Post by Fender »

shild wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:11 pm Do you guys get teased for being live steamers?
Not by anyone on whose opinion I place any value.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Adirondack

Post by Adirondack »

shild wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:11 pm Got a story for you guys... Not going to mention any names here, just going to say I work at a food store very close to a steam club.... There was a day I was going to bring in an issue of "Live Steam" magazine to show to fellow workers but I forgot and kept forgetting... Before I ever remembered to bring it in, at least 3 steam clubbers came in all at once. One had a B & M t-shirt, one had a denim hat and jacket with lots of railroad patches like L & N and Rock Island, one was wearing overalls, one of them had a pickup with a 7 1/2" gauge steamer peaking out of the back. My fellow workers laughed long and hard at them all. Later on, one of them even did imitations putting a tray, coffee kettle and bin on a table as a makeshift train, he sat on the tray and went P-ffzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Toot-toot CHI-chi-chi-chi-CHI-chi-ch-chi-CHI-chi-chi-chit--------------clickety-clickety----------------- CHI-chi-chi-chi-CHI-chi-ch-chi-CHI-chi-chi-chit. Everyone was laughing!. Needless to say I NEVER brought my live steam magazines or mentioned it after that, can just imagine what would have happened if I had remembered to. :( Do you guys get teased for being live steamers?
How old are you, like 15? You need to stop hanging around with ******** (substitute the word jerks).

C.
Adirondack Car & Foundry
Check out our projects: https://www.facebook.com/ADKrail/
Visit our ALL-NEW online store: https://adirondackcarfoundry.square.site/

A little locomotive with 4 wheels on the track is a lot more fun
than a 1/2 finished one with 16 wheels on the bench!
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I've had some people before that looked at it like I was playing with a big-ol kid's toy, and had an 'Isn't that cute' kind of dismissive attitude. That was when I was in my late teens and early 20's and in college. Most people thought it was neat and interesting, but a few acted like I was riding on a kid's tricycle. That guy with his 'Little Train' derisive comments and such. Oh well, some people make fun of others to make themselves feel bigger or more important, but you can't build yourself up by tearing other people down. The few that were like that... I don't know where any of those people are or what happened to them in their lives since that time, and really don't care either. Small-minded and self-centered people usually stay that way, so don't worry about what they say or think.

To sort-of echo what Fender said earlier: Why would I care about the opinion of someone I wouldn't take advice from.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

When I have mentioned “live steamers” to the unwashed, the question I get is asking if I am talking about steamer clams!
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

The usual response I get is "Wow, that's way cool!" I have been compared to the Sheldon Cooper character, never derisively.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

I wouldn't say I've been made fun of... But no one cared much when I was in high school getting into 12" gauge steam... But 16 years later, the same classmates are always hitting me up to open up the roundhouse and show their toddlers the choo choo, or see if I have free tickets for the choo choo so they can take them for a ride. I don't do those, as I want them to support the non profit railroad, but I do make sure to take a moment to pose for a photo with their kids and/or at least say hello.

As far as your colleagues making fun of those live steamers, they obviously value mocking folks for their interests over understanding that there are dif'rnt strokes for dif'rnt folks. If they knew you were into the same thing, they may think twice about the mockery, or they'd come down on you hard. Catch 22.

Short story shorter, don't let it bother you. It's your hobby, not theirs. Folks like to build super computers that have insane frame rates to be able to virtually shoot another gamer on the other side of the country. If those folks want to do that, go for it. Meanwhile you'll be getting your hands dirty and enjoying the smell of coal smoke (or propane fumes... again, dif'rnt strokes for dif'rnt folks)…

Have fun, that's what really counts.
Gra2472

Post by Gra2472 »

Fender wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:21 pm
shild wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:11 pm Do you guys get teased for being live steamers?
Not by anyone on whose opinion I place any value.
All the time! I’ve worked for the railroad my entire life, and I have trains at home! So, yeah I get the jokes constantly. But my wife and I enjoy our hobby, and we are proud of it. We have something that we truly enjoy. Anyone who thinks it’s silly, or foolish, are missing out on a good time! That’s their loss. Own it, they may tease you, but own it, and wear it proudly. That’s where respect comes from. These days, my coworkers are genuinely interested in the progress of my railroad and trains.
7.5" Allen Mogul
3 x 7.5" West Valley Baldwin Westinghouse Electrics
The railroad is almost done.
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

...Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind...

Since I'm earning a fair wage working with steam, they can go take a long walk off A jetty into the ocean :). If someone is so little that they think they raise themselves up by putting others down, that proves how small they are. It takes _skills_ to even operate a steam engine, let alone start with a chunk of metal and end up with a running engine. The people who mock are the same ones who have never done anything worth doing, I generally find. Those who have done something that is challenging, look on with a sense of awe as to how much devotion it takes to make for instance, a LE American. It may not be _their_ hobby, but they get that it is a hobby.

But then I've never been one to hang with the "in" crowd to feel "in"...

James
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

I never got teased by co workers per say, BUT I did get made fun in school from 1st grade to 12th grade for liking trains. always went to school with a train shirt on. any homework assignment that involved talking about trains is what I was given. bringing train magazines to school everday. the hallways would echo with the words, hey there's choo choo boy. kids doing the blow sign with a big CHOO CHOOOO. but for 12 years I just ignored it and still made it thru all my grades and have never looked back. so yea I brought that on myself but I didn't care. moral of the story is, who gives a damn. if I can put up with rudeness, so can you. just keep pushing and don't let people bring you down.
Last edited by Harold_V on Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove undesirable language
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

Yep. I learned in school a long time ago to keep my hobby private. I have continued that in my work life and don't regret it. Even adults don't understand because they most likely have never made (or repaired) anything themselves.
Matt Mason