tie work

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Steam Engine Dan

tie work

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

well everyone the battle continues, and even with the winter weather closing in. that still doesn't stop me from doin my part to ensure our track is better than ever. so recently this month, I first got 38 ties installed on the big straightaway on the outside main line. then just fresh today was another 42 more. that's 80, plus the big total for the last three years now comes to 2,012 ties replaced. slow n steady wins the race. :D

I still gotta air tamp and clean it up. but so far we are doing awesome.

first photo is the 38 ties from December 2nd, 2020

2nd photo is today December 6th, 2020
Attachments
IMG_0888.JPG
IMG_0895.JPG
NP317

Re: tie work

Post by NP317 »

"slow n steady wins the race."

So true.
Keep up the good work.
RussN
Steam Engine Dan

thanks russ :D
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

Yeah maybe one day I'll get my Camelback finished and run on it, thanks for the hard work!
Steve Goodbody

Post by Steve Goodbody »

Great job Dan, looking forward to trying it out next year!

You may get a kick out of the photo below. A handful of us spent a couple of years building an 800ft 7.25/5/3.5 inch multi-gauge track at Bentley Wildfowl park in the UK. Literally everything was dug/carted/manufactured/installed by hand ( I was fit then!), and the picture memorialized the installation of the last rail bolts in May 1985. I'm the kid on the right!

The track's been extended a couple of times since then, it's now well over a mile long (https://www.bentleyrailway.co.uk/).
Bentley Last Fishplate.JPG
Best regards
Steve
Steam Engine Dan

Sandiapaul wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:57 pm Yeah maybe one day I'll get my Camelback finished and run on it, thanks for the hard work!
by all means paul, I always like hearing feedback from people when they run on it. and thank you
Steam Engine Dan

Steve Goodbody wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:55 am Great job Dan, looking forward to trying it out next year!

You may get a kick out of the photo below. A handful of us spent a couple of years building an 800ft 7.25/5/3.5 inch multi-gauge track at Bentley Wildfowl park in the UK. Literally everything was dug/carted/manufactured/installed by hand ( I was fit then!), and the picture memorialized the installation of the last rail bolts in May 1985. I'm the kid on the right!

The track's been extended a couple of times since then, it's now well over a mile long (https://www.bentleyrailway.co.uk/).
Bentley Last Fishplate.JPG

Best regards
Steve
wow that's amazing steve, wow 1985. and all by hand is even more impressive.
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

The start for me was the extension of the TSME track in about 1987, when I was fairly young. It had all been welded offsite, wrong !, and required adjustment to make it all workable. O/C that little adventure, we ran on it for a couple of years- up till 1991 or so. (photos on Flickr). I then did a bunch at VIME when I was single, (97/98), then a bunch more with the older schmoe in 2006. I'm working on MY railway now...I cut just under 200 tieplates today, I need to finish the pile of 5' pieces, then it's off to grind the ends so no burrs, and drill 2 holes in each one. About 200 more to cut off, 400 to grind the burrs off, all 600 to drill. Then onto welding !

James
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Are you putting in plastic ties?

Tim Meyer
Ridge Live Steamers
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
Steam Engine Dan

FLtenwheeler wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:34 am Are you putting in plastic ties?

Tim Meyer
Ridge Live Steamers
yes we are tim, we are using the accu ties. they are already pre gauged and pre drilled and ready to use. and it makes the job a whole lot easier and faster. every work day I put in, I go thru at least one box a day and there are 42 ties in a box. also attached is the stainless screws that we use to go with the accu ties. they grip the rail much better than traditional smaller screws and keep everything in gauge much better too.

here is their web link and a picture.

https://accu-tierailsystem.com/product/ ... road-ties/

https://accu-tierailsystem.com/product/ ... il-screws/
Attachments
EP-Train-Parts-16-800x600.jpg
EP-Train-Parts-59-800x600.jpg
Last edited by Steam Engine Dan on Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Steam Engine Dan

James Powell wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:40 pm The start for me was the extension of the TSME track in about 1987, when I was fairly young. It had all been welded offsite, wrong !, and required adjustment to make it all workable. O/C that little adventure, we ran on it for a couple of years- up till 1991 or so. (photos on Flickr). I then did a bunch at VIME when I was single, (97/98), then a bunch more with the older schmoe in 2006. I'm working on MY railway now...I cut just under 200 tieplates today, I need to finish the pile of 5' pieces, then it's off to grind the ends so no burrs, and drill 2 holes in each one. About 200 more to cut off, 400 to grind the burrs off, all 600 to drill. Then onto welding !

James
very nice james
Steam Engine Dan

on to victory

well I was working hard yesterday. I did 42 more ties yesterday. my new counts are 2,250 ties replaced and 9,000 screws replaced. also seen are my stock piles of still usable ties for future track projects, sidings, car barn tracks, etc etc. im almost up to the signal on the uphill grade.

Dan
Attachments
IMG_1137.JPG
IMG_1139.JPG
IMG_1138.JPG