Trying to decide on a beginner 3/4" locomotive to build.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

LVRR2095

Re: Trying to decide on a beginner 3/4" locomotive to build.

Post by LVRR2095 »

Slip eccentric is not necessarily “easier” to build than Stephenson Link Motion, but it has fewer parts. Stephenson requires four eccentrics, four eccentric straps and curved expansion links. Slip eccentric has two eccentrics and associated straps and some bell cranks.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

In my experience Walschearts is much more difficult to design than Stephenson's, but if the design is done for you then it's not very much more difficult to build.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
shild

Post by shild »

Joe Tanski wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:38 pm The update Raritan drawings /book now contains working drawings for Stephenson valve gear,flat car drawings with brakes,propane burner drawings,
And caboose drawings that holds water to keep the butane,propane from freezing.
Joe
I'm considering it Joe. You go to Waushakum regularly don't you? What boiler pressure do these run at? Is it realistic to use an electric pump to put water in the boiler instead of building the axle pump? What else do you sell besides the Raritan parts? Anything that can be used on the Virginia 4-4-0? Because I really like that one.
VGC

Post by VGC »

gwrdriver wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:21 pm In my experience Walschearts is much more difficult to design than Stephenson's, ...
I do not think so...
Online program for valve gear design:

ValveGear Constructor [EN]

With automatic pre-optimization, DXF export, etc.
Andy R

Post by Andy R »

You can buy a nice one, (hand pump) finished, from PM Research.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

To buy a little time in which to make a decision, build either a Virginia or Raritan tender first. When done you can decide on the locomotive. Both tenders are from the same era and of similar appearance, so either would look good with either locomotive.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Wrong.. wrong.. maybe.

Look up baker and southern and look at drawings.

Do not choose a beginner loco based on the percieved ease or complexity of building valve gear.

All pale in comparison to building a copper boiler
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
shild

Post by shild »

LVRR2095 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:40 pm Slip eccentric is not necessarily “easier” to build than Stephenson Link Motion, but it has fewer parts. Stephenson requires four eccentrics, four eccentric straps and curved expansion links. Slip eccentric has two eccentrics and associated straps and some bell cranks.
Speaking of which, I wonder if those 4 eccentrics and axle pump would be close enough to lawnmower piston rods? Or some other small motor or air compressor?
shild

Post by shild »

Bill Shields wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:29 pm Wrong.. wrong.. maybe.

Look up baker and southern and look at drawings.

Do not choose a beginner loco based on the percieved ease or complexity of building valve gear.

All pale in comparison to building a copper boiler
Yeah, boiler is what I'm most scared of. I can drill all those holes and cut all those pieces to size, but soldering with a torch is a new thing I'm going to have to learn I guess. Also the Virginia I've been looking at calls for either 3 1/2" or a 4 1/2" tube for the boiler . I'm only able to find a 4".
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

AJ Reeves and Blackgates Engineering both offer a variety of sizes, though they are in the UK. I plan to make a purchase in the next year or so for 5.5" and 6" copper tubing for projects of mine. I'm anxious to get moving on these stalled projects again.
David Powell

Post by David Powell »

From all the questions asked here I sense that, perhaps, a simpler project than a loco might well be a good way for you to begin in this hobby. There are NO shortcuts to a model you can honestly say, I built it myself. One of my models took me 40 years yes 40, to get it up and running. There have been, and continue to be some outstanding excellent models built by beginners. However, there are far more incomplete projects, the result of broken and failed dreams, which come up for sale. Starting at the very beginning and having success with each project will help maintain enthuiasm. I would suggest you build a simple oscillating cylinder engine and a horizontal boiler to steam it, There are plenty of drawings atound for those. Once you have done that and built them up into a working plant then you will have the experience and knowledge to go further. Regards David Powell.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

What David said, especially that last bit.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN