What do we have for pics and video of the Waushakum Norfolk street era?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

shild

What do we have for pics and video of the Waushakum Norfolk street era?

Post by shild »

Trying to find as many pics and video I can of the Norfolk Street era of Waushakum I grew up with. Found these 2 videos. Pat Fahey if you're reading this I found some your pics here and really enjoy them. Where are some other Norfolk Street era Waushakum pics? Would also be great to find any pics of George Dimond.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOchl9zyMJQ&t=8s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG0liNn_1eA
http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?tit ... n_Brocklin
dnevil

Re: What do we have for pics and video of the Waushakum Norfolk street era?

Post by dnevil »

Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
shild

Post by shild »

dnevil wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:12 pm There are a few here:

http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?ti ... e_Steamers
Thank you dnevil these are some great pics and locomotives!. I forgot about that engine house with the 4 tracks in it. I just found this one of a lap around the track. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLQjiuOLHcE
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

It all depends on your definition of 'WE'

I have boxes of pictures that were taken by Jim Stuart over the years they were there...I only know a few people in the pictures since I never made it to WLS at their original location.

WE are too busy building a loco (unfortunately) at this time to digitize and post them. Are you looking for something or someone SPECIFIC with which I can help?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
shild

Post by shild »

Bill Shields wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:55 pm It all depends on your definition of 'WE'

I have boxes of pictures that were taken by Jim Stuart over the years they were there...I only know a few people in the pictures since I never made it to WLS at their original location.

WE are too busy building a loco (unfortunately) at this time to digitize and post them. Are you looking for something or someone SPECIFIC with which I can help?
You mean you never even made it once to the previous location? Well you missed out on a lot then! It was a great era! It had a nice lawn all the way around it, you could watch trains going up the grade from the parking lot inside your car if you wanted, had 2 places to load and unload your stuff, there was a full sized stationary steam engine they sometimes ran (don't know what happened to it), if you didn't like what was going on at the club there was a park across the street you could visit. All in all, it was a better looking era. Not that there is anything wrong with todays track which I believe is twice as long?

One thing that confuses me is that about midway through this era, for insurance reasons they wouldn't allow visitors to ride because of the risk they might fall back and crack their heads open. But towards the end of the era they were letting visitors ride again. I guess the club simply paid more insurance during this era?

But anyway, good luck with your locomotive, the corona era is probably the best era to build one. Do you have a build log for it? If you've got pictures of George Dimond at ANY location I'd like to see them when you're not busy.
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

The members of WLS have plenty of pictures of the Norfolk street location.

Are you a member of WLS?

If not you should become one, live steam clubs need all of the support that they can get these days since it is expensive to maintain facilities and pay for insurance.
-Frank K.
shild

Post by shild »

FKreider wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:38 pm The members of WLS have plenty of pictures of the Norfolk street location.

Are you a member of WLS?

If not you should become one, live steam clubs need all of the support that they can get these days since it is expensive to maintain facilities and pay for insurance.
Not a member, but when I get my loco near completion I want to become one. You're a member? Tried to visit the other week, but the chain was up so had to back right back out. But a couple years ago when I visited it looked like the club has learned lessons about maintenance, they've got the concrete piers now, they don't paint the track anymore cause it traps moisture in the wood and they screw the rails down instead of spiking them. Now that it's almost all in the woods, I guess it's easier to repair damaged track that a tree branch fell on once in a while than it is to maintain a lawn, isn't it?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Been a member off and on for quite some time..even though I live in delaware...and was living in the middle east when they moved.

Yes...I have geo diamond pictures..at WLS and PVLS and i think some at LILS and possibly at NELS.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Pat Fahey

Post by Pat Fahey »

Hi
Too answer one question on the post, regarding Riding at the old track on Norfolk, St. The main reason why we were not giving rides, was because one the insurance and liability of someone falling backwards, and getting hurt.
Also we did not own property, because we were paying Capt Child rent, we were on his insurance, for liability also, and the club at that time did not have insurance of it's own. So that was another reason FOR NOT giving ride to total strangers.
Once the club brought it's own insurance, and we became incorporated things did change as for giving rides. I hope this answers your question on Rides, on Norfolk St.
Even at our new location we prefer to just give rides on the ground line, mainly because there is less chance of falling, and getting hurt. As for the Hi-line, that is restricted to giving rides, by members mainly because you could fall as much as 8 to 10 feet, depending were you are on the Hi-Line. Pat.
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

shild wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:28 pm
FKreider wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:38 pm The members of WLS have plenty of pictures of the Norfolk street location.

Are you a member of WLS?

Not a member, but when I get my loco near completion I want to become one. You're a member? Tried to visit the other week, but the chain was up so had to back right back out. But a couple years ago when I visited it looked like the club has learned lessons about maintenance, they've got the concrete piers now, they don't paint the track anymore cause it traps moisture in the wood and they screw the rails down instead of spiking them. Now that it's almost all in the woods, I guess it's easier to repair damaged track that a tree branch fell on once in a while than it is to maintain a lawn, isn't it?
Yes I am a member, there is not much activity there in the winter months and unfortunately we currently remain closed to the general public due to the pandemic.

There are many reasons to join before you have your own engine completed, you can get advise/help from other local members as well as get rides with other members, chat with folks with similar interests, etc.
-Frank K.
Pat Fahey

Post by Pat Fahey »

Hi
I dug out a few shots of the 1976 annual meet at Norfolk St,, Pat
Photo by Pat Fahey
Photo by Pat Fahey
Photo by Pat Fahey
Photo by Pat Fahey
Photo By Pat Fahey
Photo By Pat Fahey
Photo by Pat fahey
Photo by Pat fahey
Photo by Pat Fahey
Photo by Pat Fahey
Attachments
Photo By Pat Fahey
Photo By Pat Fahey
shild

Post by shild »

Pat Fahey wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:39 pm Hi
Too answer one question on the post, regarding Riding at the old track on Norfolk, St. The main reason why we were not giving rides, was because one the insurance and liability of someone falling backwards, and getting hurt.
Also we did not own property, because we were paying Capt Child rent, we were on his insurance, for liability also, and the club at that time did not have insurance of it's own. So that was another reason FOR NOT giving ride to total strangers.
Once the club brought it's own insurance, and we became incorporated things did change as for giving rides. I hope this answers your question on Rides, on Norfolk St.
Even at our new location we prefer to just give rides on the ground line, mainly because there is less chance of falling, and getting hurt. As for the Hi-line, that is restricted to giving rides, by members mainly because you could fall as much as 8 to 10 feet, depending were you are on the Hi-Line. Pat.
Thank you Pat, these pictures are excellent! :) For that 4th one down, is that valve between the locomotives for air or water? Also in other pics I can see a cable mounted to the side of the high line, that's for the signal system?