Flaring copper tubing

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

makinsmoke

Flaring copper tubing

Post by makinsmoke »

Any suggestions on how to flare copper tubing on opposite ends to match a dimension?

For instance, the Allen cylinder exhaust has copper tubing from the exhaust to flared fittings threaded into the cylinders. I'm sure there's a simple solution but it escapes me.

Thanks,
Brian
bill4227

Re: Flaring copper tubing

Post by bill4227 »

Is this what you are looking for? https://youtu.be/fcUvz4wHecw
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

makinsmoke wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:43 am Any suggestions on how to flare copper tubing on opposite ends to match a dimension?

For instance, the Allen cylinder exhaust has copper tubing from the exhaust to flared fittings threaded into the cylinders. I'm sure there's a simple solution but it escapes me.

Thanks,
Brian
Suggestions? YES...don't forget to put BOTH flare nuts on your subject piece of copper tubing BEFORE you flare the 2nd end! :shock: Would add, try to put an bend or offset in if possible so there's some give and take positioning with the tubing.

This is akin to soldering up a 40 pin electrical connector and then realizing...you forgot to slide the connector cover over the cable 1st! Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Fender

Post by Fender »

If nothing else works, you could make each flared end as a separate piece, with a copper sleeve over the joint. Silver solder the sleeve after the flare nuts are tightened up.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

ccvstmr wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:45 am
Suggestions? YES...don't forget to put BOTH flare nuts on your subject piece of copper tubing BEFORE you flare the 2nd end! :shock:
This is akin to soldering up a 40 pin electrical connector and then realizing...you forgot to slide the connector cover over the cable 1st! Carl B.

Now Carl, we haven't done that, have we? I certainly haven't. Nope. Not me... so far this year :roll:
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:52 pm
ccvstmr wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:45 am
Suggestions? YES...don't forget to put BOTH flare nuts on your subject piece of copper tubing BEFORE you flare the 2nd end! :shock:

Now Carl, we haven't done that, have we? I certainly haven't. Nope. Not me... so far this year :roll:
One time I pressed the axle bearings on to the axles of my race car and then noticed that the bearing retainers were still sitting on the bench. I said bad words—lots of them. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

I won't use flare fittings. I put things together with Swage-Lok fittings.
You can assemble things without the nuts and ferrules to get the length right.
Once you lock things down with the two piece ferrules it is as close to permanent as things can be on a locomotive.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Or you can use the British trick of using straight thread fittings so that you can adjust the length between them to agree with the connecting tubing.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Pennsy fan

Post by Pennsy fan »

Using flared fittings done right are an excellent way to connect copper tubing lines in steam service, Having over 35 years experience making flared fittings I can tell you a little education can go along way to making a proper connection. There are certain rules exist on how the flare should be formed for a proper fit, once done you can take them on and off many times necessary over the life of the connection.
Unlike compression fittings they are generally considered a one time use only connection, though it is can be removed a few times before a leak may occur, simply need to use them in a connection that you don’t really ever plan to remove again.
I personally do not recommend swage lock fittings as if you do not use the proper feral for the right material you can find that the benefit of the swage lock will not take place, also they’re more expensive than standard flare fittings.
You will find extensive instructions related to swage lock installation and should be followed properly.
Lots of good information out there from the manufacturers on flare fittings and you should feel free to experiment and you will find these will solve a lot of your connection problems in the limited spaces that the piping may have to live in for what we do in the Hobby.
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

Hmm, seems to me that a perfect length, short double-ended flared tube might be impossible to install anyway? -------> >-------< <-----------

At least with a pre-installed joiner sleeve, it can be removed with a torch and reused.

On my little Porter, Don Young showed custom blind end fittings with straight threads. I made mine with just a few thou clearance. Goop it up and be done... After all, we are not talking 100+ psi like a supply line; the exhaust system low pressure, since it is open to atmosphere just a few inches away.