question i have

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

LouStule

Re: question i have

Post by LouStule »

David Powell wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:28 pm Bill said all thats needed. I always suggest that beginners should start with a simple, relatively quick to build project, then once that is complete, up and running they will no longer be beginners but will have the experience, knowledge and at least some of rhe equipment necessary to move on to the project of their dreams. A good start is a Stuart #10 from castings and a vertical firetube boiler to suit, Regards David Powell.
The Stuart #10V is an easier build than the #10H in my opinion. The S50 is also an easier build than the 10H.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

If you dig a little deeper, you can see that the original poster has only posted one message. Has also not been active since June 9th. He never gave anyone a thank you for all the suggestions. Another "time waster".
David Powell

Post by David Powell »

Well, perhaps he or she only wasted their own time. This thread may well be of help to other real beginners who are too shy to actually post questions which they feel are very elementary. There is a lot ofvery good information and advice here, from folk who deserve the tee shirt which says," Been there done that" Regards David Powell.
LouStule

Post by LouStule »

pat1027 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:39 pm There are a lot that are started and never finished as the builders loose interest.
A good reason to start modestly and see if you can finish it. If so, and you like the process and the results, then move on to your "dream project" or some version thereof.
LouStule

Post by LouStule »

Be careful buying a partially finished project. A lot of times, the reason a project is now for sale is because the builder was in way over his head and things are pretty screwed up at this point. Look things over VERY carefully before you leap into that.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

LouStule wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:11 am
pat1027 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:39 pm There are a lot that are started and never finished as the builders loose interest.
A good reason to start modestly and see if you can finish it. If so, and you like the process and the results, then move on to your "dream project" or some version thereof.
This is the advice usually given, and usually ignored. Beginners always think they know better and ultimately fail.
David Powell

Post by David Powell »

Please, do not be discouraging. I have known some beginners who made, what we might think, poor choices initially,but who persevered, and after a few failed. or very rough projects; and trips down blind alleys. got to grips in fine style, produced some really good models ,and became very understanding and encouraging fellows, in part because they understood the frustration of failed projects and unsuitable tooling better than those who had more effective introductions to success.
On the other hand, those who make a start and give up often provide materials, castings and drawings at very reasonable prices, or even free, which can be a great advantage to the more experienced but cash strapped amongst us.
The saddest of all are those who come near to finishing good models, but who cannot complete them due to ill health. It is a good tribute to them to finish the model, display it , and attribute the majority of the success to the initial builder. Mind you I have known a few scoundrels who have bought part finished high quality projects and taken most, if not all of the credit themselves,
Regards David Powell
datman

Post by datman »

David Powell wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:21 pm Please, do not be discouraging. I have known some beginners who made, what we might think, poor choices initially,but who persevered, and after a few failed. or very rough projects; and trips down blind alleys. got to grips in fine style, produced some really good models ,and became very understanding and encouraging fellows, in part because they understood the frustration of failed projects and unsuitable tooling better than those who had more effective introductions to success.
On the other hand, those who make a start and give up often provide materials, castings and drawings at very reasonable prices, or even free, which can be a great advantage to the more experienced but cash strapped amongst us.
The saddest of all are those who come near to finishing good models, but who cannot complete them due to ill health. It is a good tribute to them to finish the model, display it , and attribute the majority of the success to the initial builder. Mind you I have known a few scoundrels who have bought part finished high quality projects and taken most, if not all of the credit themselves,
Regards David Powell
hmmm need a thumbs up emoji for this post :!: :D :D :D
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Although I have never built such, I have recommended that model engineer trainees build an oscillating engine as a first project. If they want to be adventurous, build a twin cylinder double acting model. Then, if the boiler bug bites, fabricate a suitable boiler for said engine which must drive a suitable load such as a generator or water pump.

And, I recommend studying past issues of Model Engineer Magazines because these tend to be quite detailled with set-ups and procedures. All in all a great help to the neophyte. It was this magazine got me going seriously in this hobby 50 years ago.