question i have

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

NP317

Re: question i have

Post by NP317 »

PilotBug has gone silent.
I hope we didn't scare him(?) off with our reality checks.
RussN
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Another tire kicker. I remember when I first started building my locomotive, it was all I could think of every hour of every day. Our friend here has not been back since his first post.

Where's that guy that was given some loco castings? Have not heard from him in a long while either.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Everyone us gung ho until they find out what is really involved in building a steamer.

:shock:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Persistence is the word! I have been building one steam locomotive since 1968! That was when we got in a USA made Bridgeport that took 18 months for delivery! We also bought a 10" Clausing Lathe and 15" Clausing VS Drill Press.

I started buying the castings for the Little Engines 0-6-0, while my brother bought those for the 4-4-0. I now, 2021, have that 0-6-0 running on air, and just need a little more work on the tender.

When will it be steamed up, why did I take so long? Being a sorta "Workaholic", for many years, I worked teaching schools during the day, and at night I mostly operated 16th Street Bridge on the Chicago River, I was an employee of the B&OCT RR. Also, my brother and I physically built two homes during those years, and of course, we had the actual RR to build. Right now it is the completion of most of the trackage that is in front place, steaming up an 0-6-0 is sorta unimportant at this time.

I was lucky to teach Physics at a technical high school where, at that time, there were many shops. There were six Machine Shop teachers which I could consult; did not have, nor need, a site like the Home Machinist.

The school also had four Cast Metals teachers. I took advantage of that by making lotsa castings for other Live Steam projects, and even bought what was left of those foundries, which I now have in my backyard.

So, so far, it has been great fun, and whether I complete the various projects or not, it has been an enjoyable experience I would not change for any reason. Where would I be today if I had not been persistent!

Ron
0-6-0-2.jpg
DSC_1644.jpg
DSC_1900.JPG
On The Train.jpg
16th St 2010 4.jpg
DSC_1910.JPG
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Well it's only been a week. There are many reasons why someone might be away from the net. One of the things I like about this hobby is its welcoming nature and the patience everyone shows when answering beginners questions. We've all started somewhere and without those who mentored us we'd probably still be flopping around. I hope the o.p. finds what he's looking for and has a grand time in what is the best hobby around.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Well said, Greg.
I try to help people and not make editorials about their approach.
We all began our journeys somewhere.
RussN
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

"Persistence is the word! I have been building one steam locomotive since 1968!"

I don't feel so bad now about my Pacific. I have been working on it on and off since '85.
I too probably would not have built my first locomotive, LE 4-4-0, if I had known what was involved, but glad I did.

Jim B
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
This is not uncommon. How many locos have been started and never completed. Starts are often made with great enthusiasm and the best of intentions. Usually after about three months reality starts to set in. I hear a lot of of big talk, but see little accomplishment. Oh, I am building a 4-8-4...When was the last time you worked on it?... 13 years ago! I knew a guy that was planning an engine. I asked him if he had ever done this sort of project before. He said he had built a lot of models, plastic models... Well now to build a contest winning plastic model is quite an undertaking and requires a tremendous amount of skill. But it's nothing at all like building a locomotive, or stationary engine. When pointed out to this fellow that plastic models are assembly, not building. Building is when you have to machine or make all the parts BEFORE you can assemble them. Quite a different kettle of fish. He just blew me off like I was trying to rain on his parade. He spewed a lot of big talk for a while, bought some castings and after a brief period faded away. One of the reasons I like model building is that it's not easy, and I think that is one of the attractions for many of us. Those of us that have completed an engine know the great sense of satisfaction and pride the first time we display or run our creation. :D Most will never experience this. Happy Model Building.
Jack
David Powell

Post by David Powell »

In 1980 I was given a defective cylinder casting for a 2 inch scale traction engine, She first saw steam in 2019. In the meanwhile I built a few other models and repaired many others.
She now needs stripping down, painting, reassembling and passing on to my grand children.
It has been, and continues to be a wonderful adventure with a tremndous feeling of success,
Regards David Powell.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I sent over 20 years raising each of my two sons, and they are STILL not completed!
And that "ended" over 15 years ago...
Life.
RussN
Trainsplanesandautos

Post by Trainsplanesandautos »

It is great that you have interest in our hobby and hope you can soon get started. I built and completed my first locomotive 20 years ago which was a Allen 10 wheeler. It was recommended to me buy a builder. Well supported and lots of help for this engine. There is a investment in machinery and tooling but it can be located used and collected over time for a fraction of the cost. I have built a good number of stationary engines and would recommend one as a starter. Most can be completed in a year and will develop your skills necessary for a larger project. If you can find it some schools still have machining classes to learn the fundamentals, and provide access to machinery. Also many books out there on machine operation. Find a builder in your local area if you can that can answer questions. Please don’t be discouraged you can do this it’s the journey not the destination.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Jack

In the world of smaller scale builders...we call them "wall hangers"

York england... back in the museum warehouse there are literally 1000's of unfinished locos donated.

Some locos are finished, some need tenders, some tenders done with partial chassis...some are little more than a box of castings with semi finished frame.

Most donated by widows.

Some very beautiful works of art- and runnable but will never see steam since they now belong to the museum trust and cannot be disposed of in any way.

Pity that they cannot be sold and put on the track
Too many things going on to bother listing them.