Any of you folks familiar with this layout?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: Any of you folks familiar with this layout?

Post by Bill Shields »

Ah...been to one - never seen the other (bridge).
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

NP317 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:34 am I wonder what the grade specifications are?
At one point in the video, I believe it was after the train crossed under Hell Gate, I thought I saw a caption that it was beginning a climb of a 3.5% grade. Not the steepest I've run on, but challenging.

Jim B, you're a lucky guy, this has to be the most spectacular private rr I have seen. It's a lot like Seymour Johnson's - high trestles, the large-gauge woven through, the scenic views - but there is more of it here, like the tunnels. Those portals are amazing. It has to be really special during fall colors.
John Brock
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

as impressive as barry cone's railroad is, having been there once myself years ago. however after watching the recent videos and what I can personally recall myself. it is NOT at all a steam friendly railroad and here are a few reasons why.

1. no steaming bay facilities at all for people to fire up on.

2. no water outlets anywhere from main yard to mainline, not even any passing sidings with water hoses.

3. the 3 percent up and downhill grades are extremely dangerous if you only have engine brakes and no train brakes.

4. any superpower locomotive weighing 1200 pounds or heavier with a 2 or 4 wheel trailing truck cannot run there due to the steep grades and questionable trackwork.
Steam Engine Dan

these are the facts of the case and they are undisputed
Attachments
a-few-good-men-4-kevin-bacon-as-capt_-jack-ross.jpg
Steam Engine Dan

oh and there are no ash pits at all anywhere for people to dispose of their ashes from their coal fired locomotives
JoeKahan

Post by JoeKahan »

Regarding the 7.5 vs. 7.25 issue... If the war department is like mine, and couldn't tell the difference, why not have some of each. :lol:
Joe Kahan
C.E.O. Paradise and Warm Springs Railway
GE 23T Box Cab
Allen Chloe Project
M.O.W. Highrailer project
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Steam Engine Dan wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:49 am as impressive as barry cone's railroad is, having been there once myself years ago. however after watching the recent videos and what I can personally recall myself. it is NOT at all a steam friendly railroad and here are a few reasons why.

1. no steaming bay facilities at all for people to fire up on.

2. no water outlets anywhere from main yard to mainline, not even any passing sidings with water hoses.

3. the 3 percent up and downhill grades are extremely dangerous if you only have engine brakes and no train brakes.

4. any superpower locomotive weighing 1200 pounds or heavier with a 2 or 4 wheel trailing truck cannot run there due to the steep grades and questionable trackwork.
Yes you are correct that there are no steaming bays... its a private track that mostly runs diesel loco's so I guess the necessity of steaming bays is up for debate since they would sit unused 99.9% of the time.

That being said I believe your other statements are mostly false - the comments about brakes applies to all locomotives - steam or "diesel"

Two weekends ago I rode behind both a "diesel" and an Atlantic 4-4-2 - the Atlantic did better with the up and downhill grades by a good margin.

"Questionable trackwork" sounds like a dig...which I don't understand - the folks that have worked on the layout are dedicated an have put in many hard hours of labor - we ran all day with no issues. Barry was a fantastic host and is extremely gracious to open up his home for people to come and enjoy.
-Frank K.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Steam Engine Dan wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:54 pm oh and there are no ash pits at all anywhere for people to dispose of their ashes from their coal fired locomotives
If running propane or diesel who needs an ash pit?
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Does a track map exist of it ? would be interesting to see the track layout.

Should have gone into the HVAC business .... ha
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Hey...a private track is a private track.

If not intended to deal with visiting locos and what he has for motive power runs well on his track..there is no problem

It's a beautiful job..I cannot imagine the investment in bridges-> let alone tunnels and whatnot.

Even if it is not a replica is Sydney Harbour ->i could not afford the raw steel let alone what it cost to put in place.

More power to him!!
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Barry does have a steamer, so steaming bay and ash pit may be planned for. I thought the track work is excellent.
Toward the end of the video, 20:23, you can see the track that goes right off the main line and goes up the hill beside the driveway. Its on the left side of the parked cars.

When Mike of RRSC told me of the track, I thought that he was exaggerating; until I went with him on a rail delivery.

Jim B
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

There is 2 miles of 7 1/4" trak on this layout. The bridges, tunnels and tressels are amazing, as well as the all of the cuts and masonry work on the property. There is also a 2 foot gage rail road that is being expanded onto more acreage. The owner has two fantastic model scale train rooms as well in O gage and G scale I think. His collection of O gage steam locomotives is the largest I have ever seen, he also has full size functioning cross gates at all of the crossings as well.

Barry and his wife Kathy are very gracious host.

His continual additions to his rail road and of rail items is amazing.

Rob