Any of you folks familiar with this layout?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

rrnut-2

Re: Any of you folks familiar with this layout?

Post by rrnut-2 »

Also, when you go upstairs in the garage, there is a full size wooden front of a steam locomotive starring back at you.

Jim B
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

So out of curiousity, how bad would the long term maintenance be on all those wood bridges? Looking at what 15-20 years before major renovation would be required?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I was wondering the same thing about maintaining those wood trestles and bridges.
RussN
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

would love to get invited to tracks like this. as for steaming bays, if i know ahead of time. I will service the running gear before i load up. if i didnt, and if i had a few minutes to service the running gear as i unload. cool, it would not be the first time i fired up on the ground. i know i am not too proud to lay on the ground if needed :). of course as i get older, getting up is becoming more and more of a challenge :)
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

We did ground level 3.5" at COAL's-
ImageOmletHudson by Peach James, on Flickr
with a much younger Dad. (about 1/2 younger...). Steaming bays were raised, but even running on the ground can be a bit of an adventure. I'm not sure what I'm going to do at home, but there likely won't be much of a steaming bay until/unless I need one. Likely answer would be a die table/lift table for 3.5" locos. The Garratt isn't going on any rational sized table though...thought for now is a hole in the container and some rather sharply curved track, so probably have a steaming area between the container and the track. It should be fine on >15' curves, I mean: 5/24 scale 60' curve scales to 12'6" radius curves :).
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Beautiful, multi-million dollar layout owned by a super-fan. Several gauges on the property and the "O" gauge indoor layouts are beyond belief. The grades are/were some of the most dangerous I've ever seen, particularly if the entire train lacks brakes. Still, it's a thrill to view it and take it all in.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

Harold_V wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:34 pm My question is "how did it get to be either one?"

If one builds to true scale, it should have been 7-1/16".

H
7-1/4" was used in a demonstration railroad in the 1800's. Henry Greenly is said to have set 7-1/4" as a standard around the turn of the 20th century. Why then 7-1/4" vs. say an even 7". As for 7-1/2" the explanations range from from typo's in letters in the early days as the hobby grew, a supplier wanting to make his equipment slightly different to limit competition and it being half of 15" gage. I'm in 7-1/2" country but there are also 9" and 12-15/16" gage railroads not far from me.
Fender

Post by Fender »

cbrew wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:43 pm would love to get invited to tracks like this.
Cbrew, consider yourself invited to Eagle Point RR. Lots of bridges and two tunnels. Steaming bays and rainwater for boilers. All fuels are welcome. Although we do have grades, the steepest ones (3%) are only on a branch off the mainline. We have recently done a lot of work on the mainline between Eagle Point yard and Cumberland loop, and it is in great condition. Our next big meet will be in October.
http://csme-eprr.com/
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Thank you Dan, This is one on the bucket list. I will need at least three weeks vacation to make it out from the Pacific north wet.
someday :)
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
8thscale

Post by 8thscale »

pat1027 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:46 am
Harold_V wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:34 pm My question is "how did it get to be either one?"

If one builds to true scale, it should have been 7-1/16".

H
... As for 7-1/2" the explanations range from from typo's in letters in the early days ...
I've always heard the 1/4 and 1/2 are on the same typewriter key ... internet images appear to support that theory!
[Yes, I'm old enough to have used a typewriter for middle/high school reports.]
Fender

Post by Fender »

I should add that all live steamers are welcome to participate at EPRR scheduled events (shown on our web site calendar) or at other times, by making arrangements in advance. But, we are not open to the “general public”.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
rmac

Post by rmac »

8thscale wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:43 pm Yes, I'm old enough to have used a typewriter for middle/high school reports.
chaski_20210621_0002.png