Slide valve

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: Slide valve

Post by Bill Shields »

I am the eternal optimist. I continue to believe that there may be a solution to his problem if he can only be directed to follow guidance.

Determination of a solution requires specific data / dimensions.

Can I make a valve? Sure.

Does a valve need to be made - maybe.

Is there currently enough information to consider making a valve. -> definitely not.

Is the requester being cooperative? Yet to be determined
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
VGC

Post by VGC »

I think the steam hobby is a rather temporary occupation in this case...
thunderskunk

Post by thunderskunk »

Sorry for opening the can of worms; everyone was being so civil until I showed up.
"We'll cross that bridge once we realize nobody ever built one."
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

Bill Shields wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:14 pm
Emfinger wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:04 pm send pictures
Of what do you want pictures and what does that have to do with your valve problem?

If you remember I while back - i asked if the eccentrics were correctly set and why it has been determined that your existing valve is incorrect...so it appears that we are going full circle.
I just like looking at engines not a matter of proof.
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

Kevin S wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:16 pm Do you have drawings for your engine, to compare your slide valves with the drawing, also with the ports to the drawings? How have you determined that the eccentrics are in the right location? I have seen some eccentrics that are set to the proper angle to the drawing and still be off a little and needed to be adjusted some to achieve proper valve movement.
What people have asked for is key information to help design the slide valve you are wanting and you have given nothing in return.
-Kevin S.
Changing the eccentrics will never extend the throw thank you
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

Bill Shields wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:10 am I am the eternal optimist. I continue to believe that there may be a solution to his problem if he can only be directed to follow guidance.

Determination of a solution requires specific data / dimensions.

Can I make a valve? Sure.

Does a valve need to be made - maybe.

Is there currently enough information to consider making a valve. -> definitely not.

Is the requester being cooperative? Yet to be determined
No one has offered to make a valve therefore no specs are needed.
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

David Powell wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:22 am The school of telephone or internet instruction is beset with problems., misunderstandings and consequent failure to solve puzzles .Some 25 yrs ago I got a phone call from a fellow 100 miles away about valve timing. After several calls we decided that the only answer was to visit him, I drove over in my ancient pick up and began a long lasting friendship.
Your best answer would be to visit or host a fellow live steamer with experience, and listen and watch while he or she examines your model.
I do not know how far other folk will go to help beginners. Now, at 71 I do not have the time or energy to do more than give advice, and most certainly will not design, build or rebuild major parts of other folks projects. That said, a few hours helping out makes a cheerful change from my own ( Mis) adventures.
Regards David Powell.
Good for you....I'm 77
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Emfinger wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:23 am
Kevin S wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:16 pm Do you have drawings for your engine, to compare your slide valves with the drawing, also with the ports to the drawings? How have you determined that the eccentrics are in the right location? I have seen some eccentrics that are set to the proper angle to the drawing and still be off a little and needed to be adjusted some to achieve proper valve movement.
What people have asked for is key information to help design the slide valve you are wanting and you have given nothing in return.
-Kevin S.
Changing the eccentrics will never extend the throw thank you
actually, as Kevin states -> changing the eccentrics can affect the throw if they are set wildly wrong. If you refuse to believe that this is a possibility, then anyone who knows even a little about this valve gear is going to say 'this fellow has no idea what he is doing, so there is no reason why I should take the time to build a set of valves that either a> will not work anyway because the timing will still be off, or B> not needed because his existing valve may well work once the timing is corrected.

offer to build a valve is dependent on availability of enough information to know what needs to be done.

anyone who has ever been in this position knows that 'wild goose chase' is a waste of time for everyone.

if the person requesting the 'new valve' cannot supply enough information to design / build the valve -> then anyone who has a clue as to what is needed is going to wait and see.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Tom - Do you have drawings for the port face?
Steamer Al

Post by Steamer Al »

Builder01 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:15 am Tom - Do you have drawings for the port face?
Wasn't there a thread about this a week or two ago, with a picture posted of the valve port dimensions and valve dimensions, and it was determined through an excellent explination that the valve travel and outside dimensions were fine, it was the exhaust lap that seemed excessive?

And I fully agree with Bill that nobody is going to get involved without knowing what they are getting in to.....
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Fellow Steam/Machinist Folks:
Despite some of us being a little put off by the Original Poster, please get back on track trying to assist him.
That's what we are really about here.
Emfinger: The questions you are being asked are truly requests for information required to assist you in your goals.
RussN
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Steamer Al wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:57 am
Builder01 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:15 am Tom - Do you have drawings for the port face?
Wasn't there a thread about this a week or two ago, with a picture posted of the valve port dimensions and valve dimensions, and it was determined through an excellent explination that the valve travel and outside dimensions were fine, it was the exhaust lap that seemed excessive?

And I fully agree with Bill that nobody is going to get involved without knowing what they are getting in to.....
Tom, I searched around and found your first thread. Yes, a sketch was provided. Looked like 1/2" travel of the valve rod would work. Just need to reset the valve on the rod for equal movement over the ports. Keeping in mind, the ports do not need to be completely uncovered to function properly.