Invicta

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

ChipsAhoy

Invicta

Post by ChipsAhoy »

I am curious about the 7 1/2" guage Invicta. Anyone have first hand knowledge on how they perform? The little guys seem to be pretty light weight, would they benefit from adding traction weights, or is there enough power to justify it? Can they pull three or four adults? The one I am looking at is coal powered, is it possible to add/insert a temporary functional propane burner? It is getting more and more difficult to find tracks where coal power is allowed year round and it would be a shame to permenantly modify it to eliminate coal usage.
Interesting to note, The bore and stroke are, 1-3/8" X 1-1/2".

Scotty
Bill Shields

Re: Invicta

Post by Bill Shields »

I have seen one running with a big sievert propane torch stuck into the firedoor.

The only notification was to have the original firedoor made a bit larger to accommodate the burner.

Never seen one pulling more than 2 adults on a single riding car.

How much it will pull is naturally a function of maximum track grade
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

I had an Invicta for a couple of years. The previous owner had put a propane burner in it. It steamed well. The front had a fairly heavy bar on it. Not sure if it was built with it or added later by the first owner. It steamed quite well with propane. I would say if its level track it might pull up 4 adults. But normal track with grades 2 adults max. The small light weight tender was a serious draw back, it derailed easy and was not very stable for using the foot pegs. It also did not hold very much water.

A friend who also opened on put a water tank on his riding car (gondola) and eliminated the tender. That was a much better operating set up.

The other issue is you need brakes on your riding car because the Invicta dose not have any.

Rob
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

That's interesting. You suppose an Allens tender from a mogul might help the cause? Was it set up to switch back and forth or was it permenant propane?
Scotty
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Nothing in the world worse than a lightweight tender
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Bill Shields wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:11 pm Nothing in the world worse than a lightweight tender
No chance of that if I am sitting on it!!!

Keith
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

OK...so I was referring to a non-ride-on tender. Jim's Tich tender was a real PITA -> until we added about 10# of weight to it...