Super scale economy injector question

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

skyloop440

Super scale economy injector question

Post by skyloop440 »

Hi all:
I have a Super scale economy injector mounted on a Chloe that i can't get to work, do any of you have any info on these such as mounting height as to water level, this one has been mounted up high and has to suck the water up but then the over flow will never stop running water out and no water goes into boiler. Any ideas.

Matt
cbrew

Re: Super scale economy injector question

Post by cbrew »

couple areas
1) have you tried to throttle the water?
2) have you confirmed the boiler check is working and not stuck closed (touch the delivery pipe, it should be warm if pumping)
3) does the boiler check have a manual valve that is shut

i know easy stuff but can be over looked

as for height, I have had both econ and Chicago injectors pick up water out of a coffee cup with the cup sitting on the concrete and the locomotive on the stand over 30 inches above.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Thanks for the info. I did try throttling the water with no luck.
All check the check valve to see if it is working and the is on other valve in the line from the injector to the check valve.
Good to know they will lift saves me having to remount it at this time.

Thanks again
Matt
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

no other valves in the line.
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

Funny you should ask....I have 2 brand new, never used economy injectors.....about two years ago, I installed them on my mikado....one worked perfectly....the other, after pulling all my hair out, and many posts, and suggestions here on chaski, I never could get the stupid think to work.......so, without changing any of my plumbing, I swapped it out for a brand new eccentric engineer injector. It worked the first time, and works Everytime !!!!..which verified the integrity of my plumbing. ...the prevailing theory on mine was, there might be porosity in the casting, letting it suck in air, thereby rendering useless. I finally verified this, before scrapping out the superscale injector, by trying to start the injector while it was immersed in a bucket of water.....low, and behold, it took off and ran like a champ...I feel confident that verified the porosity in the casting question.....it was able to suck in water and not air.........I wish you luck in the pursuit of trying to find the cause of yours failure.......if you can't get it to work, I would recommend an eccentric engineer injector....you only need to solder different fittings on your pipe work......as for my superscale economy injector, I'm using it as a paper weight....
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Porosity....suggest a good paint job
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
timmy wheeler

Post by timmy wheeler »

Bill, would Glyptal be a good paint for porosity issues?

Timmy
illigitimi non carborundum
Kevin S

Post by Kevin S »

First question, has the injector worked before? Second, does the washer inside move freely?
-Kevin S.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

hoppercar wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:04 pm Funny you should ask....I have 2 brand new, never used economy injectors.....about two years ago, I installed them on my mikado....one worked perfectly....the other, after pulling all my hair out, and many posts, and suggestions here on chaski, I never could get the stupid think to work.......so, without changing any of my plumbing, I swapped it out for a brand new eccentric engineer injector. It worked the first time, and works Everytime !!!!..which verified the integrity of my plumbing. ...the prevailing theory on mine was, there might be porosity in the casting, letting it suck in air, thereby rendering useless. I finally verified this, before scrapping out the superscale injector, by trying to start the injector while it was immersed in a bucket of water.....low, and behold, it took off and ran like a champ...I feel confident that verified the porosity in the casting question.....it was able to suck in water and not air.........I wish you luck in the pursuit of trying to find the cause of yours failure.......if you can't get it to work, I would recommend an eccentric engineer injector....you only need to solder different fittings on your pipe work......as for my superscale economy injector, I'm using it as a paper weight....
Hello Hoppercar...hard to believe Barry would have released an injector that was flawed! Thought he tested and verified ALL injectors before shipping/selling. No matter, you still have an injector that (as you say) you're using as a paper weight. That's a pretty expensive paper weight.

If you determined the injector DOES work when immersed in water...stands to reason the injector can be capped off and pressurized with air to locate the porosity. See where I'm going with this? Once you know the location of the hole(s)...clean the injector body, flux and flow some silver solder over the pinholes. You might even be able to soft solder too. Can't hurt to try, right?

Just offering a distant idea to make something functional to live and die another day. Good luck. Carl Baskin
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Bill Shields

Re: Super scaled economy injector question

Post by Bill Shields »

Any paint would prove the point of porosity.

Better yet...plug up all the holes and put a few psi of air on it and submerge...like looking for a leak in a tire
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Hi Guys:
I can't say for sure that it ever worked and yes the washer moves freely that does lead to a question about the washer, which way does it go, flat side up or the recessed side up.

Matt
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Also if i can't get it to work i will be looking into EE injectors.
Matt