Switch construction rail lengths

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

ChipsAhoy

Re: Switch construction rail lengths

Post by ChipsAhoy »

I don't think we need another forum, if perhaps the forum descriptions were just broadened with better, more inclusive definations. I reread the descriptions and I really couldn't determine where one would put track, rail, switches and signals. Consequently, I wouldn't know which one to search for my favorite inquiry.
Glenn probably has the best forum description for the Grand Scale column. That one is relatively new and he had some challenges to it's existance, perhaps they is why the 'Good' description.
Scotty
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

When I arrive at the site I usually immediately go to "New posts". As with Russel, that gives me the ability to see what is new anywhere on the board.
I too am not a train guy but when I see topics of interest like relief valves, I read those. I pass by the conversation on track width etc.

I am unsure if I have ever done a search on the Chaski site directly but I too have had discussions here come up on a google search.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

And I'd like to suggest that we stop hijacking Enid's thread. So far he's only had two responses that directly answer his question. Perhaps we should start one with the subject of forum categories.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
EnidPuceflange

Post by EnidPuceflange »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:06 pm And I'd like to suggest that we stop hijacking Enid's thread. So far he's only had two responses that directly answer his question. Perhaps we should start one with the subject of forum categories.
Well, actually it was an interesting aside - but I'm still left wondering how long I should cut my rails for the #6 and #5 switches :)

The most useful bit seems to be this:
For 7-1/2 gauge I come up with the following using 24-inch long straight movable points;

Number 6 frog 90-inch theoretical and 87.2-inch practical

Number 8 frog 120-inch theoretical and 108.3-inch practical

Number 10 frog 150-inch theoretical and 129.4-inch practical

Does this look close?

Tim
I'm still struggling with the difference between theoretical and practical - on the switches I've built already, I have 24" of movable point and 81" of rail between the point and the frog (so 105" total), which is closeish to 108.3" above ...
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:06 pm And I'd like to suggest that we stop hijacking Enid's thread.
I've never encouraged readers to not hijack, not so long as the purpose does not diminish the point of the thread in question. To do so offers the risk of not reading something that may be the solution to a given problem that has not been forthcoming previously.

Hijack away---just keep it related to the point at hand and ensure that it relates to the conversation. In this instance, it has. It's all about should we, or should we not, make it possible for folks to find information in regards to a given subject. What better place to ask for opinions than in that thread?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

To some time is important, so they may want to go to the forum they are interested in right away. I'm 86, so even though my time remaining is valuable, I'm in no rush, as I can search through the forums at my leisure.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

EnidPuceflange wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:51 pm
I'm still struggling with the difference between theoretical and practical - on the switches I've built already, I have 24" of movable point and 81" of rail between the point and the frog (so 105" total), which is closeish to 108.3" above ...
Enid...the difference between theoretical and practical/actual..."theoretical" design dimensions are based the distance from the tip of the switch point to a point in the flangeway or frog throat where the two routes converge. The "practical" dimension is based on the distance from the tip of the switch points to the tip of the frog...which is easier to measure. Over such distances, a couple of inches difference shouldn't matter.

In my experience...when dealing with #8 or larger frogs, you might find it better to use 28" switch points instead of 24". Those extra 4" help guide the train into the diverging route curve...and doesn't look like a "hard left or right" turn at the switch points. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!