Please post your thoughts

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Please post your thoughts

Post by Harold_V »

Builder01 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:31 am I looked at the Resource Library forum category. It seemed no more of a resource than any of the other forum categories here.
Then you'd be better served to take a look again. There's a large number of threads dedicated to guidance. Sure, they include comments from some folks, some of them even misguided, but that's the nature of this medium. Some folks simply have to speak their mind, even when they don't have a clue. I saw that in a couple of the long threads I provided for those who have little to no experience in soft jaw and grinder use. Doesn't make the threads less valuable---you just have to sort the crap from what's really useful. And, to be quite honest, people interjecting often serves a very useful purpose. It tends to keep a thread honest. When misinformation is posted, it deserves to be challenged.
Some forums actually have a place that just files can be posted. No discussion is posted, just files. Would be a handy thing to have to place charts and references files. Perhaps it can't be done.
In order for that to occur, someone must scrutinize each and every entry, then decide what is acceptable and what is not. A true censoring of free speech. What one person considers good and viable information another may well consider utter nonsense, often due to ignorance. That's the value of having individuals interject their thoughts, and the negative side as well. That said, I think it can't be done.

What would be most helpful is if readers who are seeking guidance would truly seek guidance, not acceptance. All too many keep looking until they read what they want to hear, the truth be damned. That's the nature of humans, and they tend to not let truth and honesty get in the way.

Just sayin', you understand.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Wow, its way more complicated than I ever imagined. Looks like a place for files and shop charts is not the thing to have or, to do. Too much controversy sorting things out, I had no idea. Okay, I get it, no posting of files or shop charts. Better for one to sift through forum texts to get the information.
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

I would like to see a forum on turnout construction. It would help me personally, as I have started a home railroad and have immediate need to build several turnouts.

I'm open to storing files on the IBLS website, but they are always related to articles in the IBLS "wiki". Otherwise there is no way to index or access them.

Here is what we have on "Turnouts":

http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Turnouts
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
rmac

Post by rmac »

I thought Harold made it clear that it was okay (and good, even) to archive files in the Resource Library forum. The only problem (if you consider it a problem) is that there's no reasonable way to make a forum that's restricted to files only.

-- Russell Mac
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

No new forum. Delete the Ebay Sales, but no new track forum.
Matt Mason