Placement of lettering

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

squandt

Placement of lettering

Post by squandt »

Hello to all, Want to thank all who have answered my question about decals and vinyl lettering. Now I have another question, does any one know of a picture or drawing that shows what it says on the Engine under the cab window and on the side of the tender. I have many books on trains,but none that are clear enough for me to read. Any help from the great beyond would be great.
stay on the shine side of the rail
jcbrock

Re: Placement of lettering

Post by jcbrock »

It varies railroad to railroad and can also change during different eras. Do you have a particular railroad you are interested in?
John Brock
squandt

Post by squandt »

Yes,Northern Pacific, 1927 4-8-4 northern.
stay on the shine side of the rail
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

I should defer to NP317 on this one, but a way to do it is find a model in a different scale:
https://www.brasstrains.com/Classic/Pro ... -Samhongsa

If that link works, you can see the cab has a small N.P. then the number in much larger font, followed by an 'A' for the locomotive class. Tender has the road name close to the centerline on the side. I checked another source, the 1930 Locomotive Cyclopedia, and it's the same, only with a black boiler.
John Brock
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Squandt:
Your best resource will be photos of your locomotive class.
NP treated tenders separately from the locomotive, each with their own number. They swapped tenders from loco to loco after shop servicing.
So... Pictures of your loco... And as mentioned the Locomotive Encyclopedias are a good source.

You might also check with the Pacific Northwest Railroad Archive near Seattle, WA:
http://www.pnrarchive.org/SitePages/Home.aspx
They have scanned thousands of photos and documents and have search engines to find items you are interested in.

I have visited them in person and seen the huge and priceless collections they have cataloged in the lower level of their building.
Give them a try for photos and let us know what you find.

I acquired from them photos of the Polson Logging Mikado I built. 1926 delivery photos with intense details.
A fortunate find.
RussN